Jenson Button insists he will be driving for McLaren next year despite raising doubts about his future.
The 33-year-old Briton said before Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix that he had yet to add his signature to his contract option for next year.
But the 2009 world champion has now said he was only "winding up" McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh.
"That was very unfair of me, but I was just stating a fact," he said. "I'll be here for my future in Formula 1."
McLaren have endured some difficult times recently and lost Lewis Hamilton to Mercedes last year.
The Woking-based team have had problems getting their car to challenge F1's pacesetters and have failed to finish higher than fifth so far this season.
"It's obviously not going our way at the moment, but it will and I'm very happy here," said Button, who came in sixth at Spa Francorchamps on Sunday.
"I feel good here and I still feel we can achieve so much together."
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh conceded that the team have not provided Button or team-mate Sergio Perez with the type of car they would like to as he hinted the pair would remain with the team.
"They've been fantastic ambassadors and I think they deserve another go with us next year," said Whitmarsh.