Jenson Button should stay in F1, says Fernando Alonso
Fernando Alonso says Jenson Button should remain in Formula 1 next season.
Alonso's move from Ferrari to McLaren for 2015 is set to be confirmed shortly, but it is not clear whether McLaren want to retain Jenson Button or Kevin Magnussen alongside him.
"Hopefully he will stay," said Alonso. "He is a very talented driver, a great character and good person. People like him are good for our sport.
"Whether we will see him on the grid, you need to ask McLaren."
McLaren had been leaning towards retaining Magnussen, who is in his first season, but they may review that following another impressive drive from Button in Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix.
Button took fourth place, while Magnussen was ninth after finishing the first lap one place behind Button, who has now scored 106 points this season to Magnussen's 55.
However, relations between Button and the McLaren management have soured as the team have delayed their decision on drivers for 2015 while seeking to finalise their deal with Alonso.
And it is far from clear whether Button would agree to stay at the team if they asked him to.
Ahead of the Brazilian race, Button said: "That's a good question that I can't answer at this moment in time."
After the race on Sunday, Button said: "If I am winning, F1 is where I want to be.
"I feel I'm doing a pretty good job at the moment. I've got nothing to prove and this is what I've done for 15 years.
"I'm not ready to stop racing. I'm here to race, do the best job I can, which is what I try and do every weekend."