All-Ireland football semi-final: Ballinderry 1-13 2-14 St Vincent's

Action from the club football semi-final at Newry

Ballinderry went down by four points to Leinster champions St Vincent's in Saturday's All-Ireland Club Football semi-final at Pairc Esler, Newry.

Tomas Quinn top-scored with a tally of 1-8 for the victors.

Quinn and Ciaran Dorney scored goals in the opening 11 minutes and St Vincent's led 2-4 to 0-9 at half-time.

Daniel McKinless grabbed a 48th-minute goal but St Vincent's always kept their noses in front to book a St Patrick's Day final against Castlebar Mitchels.

The Mayo side defeated Dr Crokes of Kerry at O'Moore Park in Saturday's other last four clash.

McKinless may quit after semi-final defeat

Derry outfit Ballinderry went into the game aiming to secure their second All-Ireland title, following their first success back in 2002.

The Dublin champions had a dream start with those two early goals but Ballinderry fought back and the Ulster champions only trailed by a point at the interval.

In front of an attendance of 4,331, St Vincent's chose to play against the wind in the first-half and Quinn found the net in the seventh minute when his low shot through a crowded large square creeped inside Michael Conlan's right-hand post.

Quinn then delivered the pass of the match to Ciaran Dorney for Vincents' second goal four minutes later.

His defence-splitting pass completely took defender Kevin McGuckin out of the game and Dorney was able to pick the ball up and smash it into the roof of the net from a narrow angle.

St Vincent's had to withstand a brave recovery from Ballinderry who closed the deficit to just a point, 2-4 to 0-9 at half-time, with Collie Devlin hitting 0-4 from play for the Derry champions.

After a quiet first-half Diarmuid Connolly was superb after the interval hitting 0-3 from play and it looked as though St Vincent's would run out comfortable winners.

For the second time in the game, Ballinderry fought back through a McKinless goal, through a sea of bodies, after 48 minutes.

The closest Ballinderry got, however, was to within two points of Vincent's, who were composed front-runners.

Quinn's frees and points from Connolly and Dornay put them through to their first All-Ireland final since winning the competition in 2008.

Ballinderry: M Conlan; G McKinless, C Nevin, K McGuckin; R Wilson (0-1), D Lawn, R Scott; E Muldoon, J Conway (0-1); C Devlin (0-5, 1f), M McIver, D McGuckin; D McKinless (1-0), R Bell (0-2), C Gilligan (0-2, 1f)

Subs: A Devlin (0-2) for Scott (16), M Harney for McIver (42)

St Vincent's: M Savage; K Bonnie, J Curley, H Gill; C Diamond, B Egan, M Concarr; D Murphy, E Fennell; G Burke (0-1), T Diamond, S Carthy (0-1); D Connolly (0-3), C Dorney (1-1), T Quinn (1-8, 5f, 1 '45')

Subs: K Golden for T Diamond (58), N Mullins for Carthy (60), A Baxter for Dorney (60)

Referee: Marty Duffy (Sligo)

Top Stories