All-Ireland SFC semi-final replay: Kerry beat Mayo after extra-time

Kerry's Killian Young and Mayo's Aidan O'Shea
Kerry's Killian Young tries to spin away from Mayo's Aidan O'Shea in the Limerick contest

Mayo's 63-year wait for an All-Ireland Football title goes on after they were edged out 3-16 to 3-13 by Kerry after extra-time in the semi-final replay.

Two Cillian O'Connor goals helped Mayo move seven up but Kieran Donaghy's goal cut Mayo's lead to three by the break.

Andy Moran's goal came either side of two James O'Donaghue penalties as Donal Vaughan's Mayo point forced extra-time.

Mayo wasted chances early in extra-time to put the game to bed and were made to pay in the second period in Limerick.

Tempers flared in the closing stages at the Gaelic Grounds as a number of unseemly melees broke out and Mayo goal-scorer O'Connor was sent off for an ugly trip on a Kerry player after the Connacht champions had already been awarded a free.

By that stage Kerry were three points up deep into added time and O'Connor was seeing another chance at winning an elusive All-Ireland medal slip away after the final defeats of 2012 and 2013.

It was a sad end to the contest for O'Connor who finished with 2-6 with man of the match O'Donoghue completing an individual haul of 2-5 for the Kingdom.

Referee Cormac Reilly gets a police escort off the field at the end of the game in Limerick
Referee Cormac Reilly is escorted off the pitch by Garda officers after tempers flared in the closing stages of the game

O'Connor slammed in Mayo's first goal from a penalty on 17 minutes and he himself had been fouled by Shane Enright.

Four minutes later, O'Connor was rattling the net again after being set up by Aidan O'Shea but Kerry were back in the game eight minutes later as Donaghy fired past Robert Hennelly after O'Donoghue's initial shot had been blocked by Keith Higgins.

Mayo still led by four at the break but the sides were level eight minutes after the restart as O'Donoghue netted a penalty after he had been fouled following another brilliant bit of fielding by Donaghy.

Points from O'Donoghue and substitute Marc O Se put Kerry two ahead but Mayo were soon back in front as Moran palmed home from close range after Kerry keeper Brian Kelly had failed to grasp of high ball.

But O'Donoghue slotted his second penalty to put Kerry ahead again on 62 minutes as Ger Cafferkey appeared unfortunate to be blown up for his challenge on the man of the match.

Mayo remained a point down as the match entered injury-time but Donal Vaughan's fisted effort levelled the contest again as he took the percentage option rather than trying to engineer a goal chance.

Perhaps the crucial moment of the contest came in the first period of extra-time as Kevin McLaughlin popped over a point to put Mayo two up when the goal chance clearly looked on.

A four-point lead would surely have been hard to peg back but instead, Kerry were back on terms by the end of the opening 10-minute period.

Mayo seemed to run out of puff in the closing 10 minutes of action as tempers flared with spectators and mentors even getting involved in some of the unseemly scenes.

Top Stories