McKenna Cup: Armagh 2-11 0-14 St Mary's

Armagh's Declan McKenna is challenged by St Mary's pair Jerome Johnston and Ruairi Wilson
The Athletic Grounds game was played in wet and gale-force conditions

Gavin McParland hit 2-4 for Armagh as they came from five points down to beat St Mary's in the Dr McKenna Cup.

St Mary's had a strong first-half wind advantage and scores from Thomas Canavan, Jack Grugan and Jerome Johnston helped them lead 0-7 to 0-2.

However, McParland's penalty helped Armagh level although Mary's regrouped to lead 0-11 to 1-5 at the break.

Mary's moved five ahead but Armagh fought back before McParland's second goal edged them ahead.

Armagh's win maintains their hopes of a semi-final place although Tyrone remain odds-on favourites to top Section C with their final group game against Antrim taking place on Sunday at Healy Park.

Helped by their wind advantage, St Mary's showed an admirable ability to kick long-range points in the first half as Canavan, Grugan and man of the match Johnston all picked off some glorious scores.

Dr McKenna Cup Section C
Armagh 1-10 1-12 TyroneSunday 4 January
Antrim 1-7 0-9 St Mary'sSunday 4 January
Antrim 1-4 2-11 ArmaghSunday 11 January
Tyrone 1-12 0-3 St Mary'sSunday 11 January
Armagh 2-11 0-14 St Mary'sWednesday 14 January
Tyrone v Antrim, Healy ParkSunday 18 January, 14:00 GMT

However after leading 0-7 to 0-2, the students were rocked as Armagh hit an unanswered 1-2 which included McParland's 25th-minute penalty after Sean Connell had been fouled.

Mary's regrouped to lead by three at the break with Ciaran McKeever the only other Armagh player to join McParland [1-4] on the first-half score-sheet.

St Mary's hit the first two scores of the second half to move five ahead before Armagh finally began to utilise their wind advantage.

Half-time substitute Jamie Clarke knocked over two points as Armagh chipped away at the Mary's lead.

The students still led with eight minutes left when McParland slotted his second goal to put Armagh 2-9 to 0-13 ahead.

Tony Kernan missed a great second-half goal chance for Armagh but they did enough to take the victory.