Football League Division Two: Kildare 1-15 3-13 Down

Kildare's Mick O'Grady challenges Down's Kevin McKernan in Newbridge
Down produced a dramatic late comeback to win in Newbridge

Down hit 2-1 in injury-time to grab a dramatic four-point victory over a shell-shocked Kildare in their Football League Division Two match at Newbridge.

Niall Kelly's goal helped Kildare lead 1-5 to 0-5 and while three Donal O'Hare frees brought Down level, the Lilywhites led 1-7 to 0-9 at half-time.

Kildare moved three ahead again before Down sub Caolan Mooney netted to level.

The home side restored a three-point lead before the injury-time goals from Arthur McConville and O'Hare.

McConville reached quickest to net as the ball came back off the woodwork after Kildare keeper Mark Donnellan opted against attempting to field a 45-metre free from Paul Devlin.

That goal brought the sides level as the game entered injury-time and the Kildare keeper compounded matters as his quick kick-out gifted possession to Down, with Devlin then able to kick over another point.

As Kildare completely lost their composure, Down notched another goal within 30 seconds with O'Hare supplying the finish as the Lilywhites suffered a collapse reminiscent of last Spring's league game collapse against Tyrone.

Devlin and O'Hare had kicked the opening points of the game before scores from Paddy Fogarty and Kelly levelled the game and the sides went point for point as before Darroch Mulhall's pass set up Kelly's 20th-minute goal to put Kildare 1-5 to 0-5 ahead.

Three O'Hare frees soon brought Down level but an Eoghan O'Flaherty point helped Kildare edge 1-7 to 0-9 ahead by half-time.

Kildare extended their advantage to three after the restart but Down were on terms again as half-time substitute Mooney ran straight through the home defence to lash home a glorious goal.

The Lilywhites appeared to have regrouped impressively as they moved two ahead once more and they had the chance to put the match to bed, only for Down sub goalie Steven Kane to save Padraig Fogarty's poorly-taken penalty.

The penalty save was Kane's first action after Down's starting keeper Michael Cunningham had been black carded for the foul that had led to the spot-kick.

Kildare led by three on two more occasions in the game as Fogarty also missed another goal chance when he blasted against the crossbar.

They remained three in front as the match entered injury-time before the match was turned completely on its head by the late drama.



Division One

Tyrone 0-09 1-13 Monaghan

Donegal 1-15 0-12 Derry

Division Three

Fermanagh 0-16 0-07 Louth

Division Four

Waterford 0-14 0-10 Wicklow


Division One

Cork 1-15 0-16 Dublin

Kerry 0-10 2-11 Mayo

Division Two

Galway 2-13 1-12 Meath

Roscommon 1-11 0-14 Cavan

Westmeath 1-12 0-10 Laois

Kildare 1-15 3-13 Down

Division Three

Clare 1-16 0-05 Wexford

Limerick 0-14 1-09 Sligo

Armagh 2-08 0-13 Tipperary

Division Four

London 1-02 0-09 Offaly

Leitrim 0-15 1-12 Longford

Antrim 1-12 0-15 Carlow