St Mary's extra-time defeat by DCU ends Ulster Sigerson Cup hopes

St Mary's Aidan Corker attempts to fend off DCU's Conor Moynagh in Belfast
DCU never led in normal time before going on to earn victory in extra-time

Ulster's last Sigerson Cup hopefuls St Mary's bowed out as they lost 1-11 to 0-11 against DCU after extra-time.

DCU never led in normal time before going on to take victory at St Mary's home venue St Genevieve's in Belfast.

St Mary's led 0-8 to 0-3 at half-time but were reduced to 14 men before the break after Ryan Johnston's red card.

The Ranch hit the first point of the second half but Donal Wrynn's goal helped DCU force extra-time in which they proved the stronger.

St Mary's led by 0-4 to 0-1 after 10 minutes after early points from Aidan Forker (two), Thomas Canavan and Paddy McBride.

The advantage was stretched to 0-8 to 0-3 by the 28th minute and St Mary's missed other chances to extend their advantage.

Johnston was dismissed following a scuffle with Diarmuid O'Connor in the 29th minute but the home side still led by five at half-time.

Forker claimed the first score of the half in the 40th minute to push his side 0-9 to 0-3 ahead but DCU held Mary's scoreless over the next 19 minutes, as they launched a comeback started by points from Conor Moynagh and Wrynn.

Wrynn's 44th-minute goal cut the Mary's lead to the minimum and Monaghan man Shane Carey levelled the contest with 12 minutes remaining.

As Forker, Daniel McBride, Emmett Bradley and Conor Clarke showed great resolve, the home side regained the lead thanks to a Canavan point only for Donal Smith's score to force extra-time.

St Mary's were back to 15 men for extra-time, with Neill McNicholl bringing them back to a full complement.

DCU keeper Tadgh Lowe pushed the visitors ahead with a pointed 45 in the 67th minute, but this was cancelled out by Canavan to ensure an 0-11 to 1-8 interval score-line.

DCU were stronger on the restart, as a trio of unanswered scores including keeper Lowe's second pointed 45', and points from Colm Begley and Armagh man Simon McCoy saw them through to the semi-final weekend.