Football League Division One: Donegal 1-13 0-06 Tyrone

Ryan McHugh is about to be congratulated by Hugh McFadden after scoring Donegal's goal at Ballybofey
Ryan McHugh scored Donegal's goal in the facile win over Tyrone at Ballybofey

Michael Murphy kicked six points as Donegal crushed Tyrone to put the Red Hands in Division 1 relegation trouble.

Donegal did all the damage in the first half with Murphy's free-taking and Ryan McHugh's 31st minute goal giving them a 1-9 to 0-3 half-time lead.

Murphy was black carded late and is suspended for next Sunday's final league game against Mayo, as it was his third dismissal of the campaign.

Tyrone can still avoid relegation if they beat Kerry by two points or more.

The sides will meet again in the Ulster championship preliminary round on 17 May in Ballybofey and this performance was quite a statement of intent by Rory Gallagher's side.

Donegal are now guaranteed to be playing Division One football next season after this dominant display.

They totally bossed the first half, Murphy taking advantage of a strong wind at his back to dazzle the 8,500 crowd with a series of superb dead ball strikes.

Mickey Harte looks concerned after Tyrone's heavy defeat in Ballybofey
Mickey Harte's side will face Donegal in the Ulster Championship on 17 May

The former All-Ireland winning captain kicked five points in the first half, four from frees, and three of them were monster efforts from all of 60 metres.

The Red Hands were unable to penetrate Donegal's defensive wall and frequently turned the ball over, with Donegal breaking at speed with Martin McElhinney (two) and Neil McGee picking off nice scores.

Ronan O'Neill, a late inclusion in Tyrone's starting team, scored the visitors' only point from play in the first half in the 12th minute.

It was brief respite for Mickey Harte's side, who were outfought in every department while Murphy's incredible long-distance free-taking punished every mistake.

Ryan McHugh followed up his match-winning goal for the county's under-21s with a goal for the seniors in the 31st minute.

Frank McGlynn's attempt for a point came off the upright and after Hugh McFadden's rebound shot was partially blocked, McHugh pulled on the loose ball on the ground to tap it into the net.

The game was effectively over at the break, leaving Tyrone playing only for pride in the second half.

Yet they failed to even win the second half with the wind at their backs, and failed to score for 33 minutes either side of half time until Peter Harte landed a free and a point in quick succession in the 47th minute.

Murphy was dismissed for pulling down Sean Cavanagh 11 minutes from the end.

After picking up a black card against Dublin and being sent-off for two yellow card offences against Cork, this was his third dismissal earning him a one-match ban.

The impressive Martin McElhinney also picked up a black card late on as tempers began to fray.

Football League results


Division One

Cork 2-07 0-12 Mayo

Kerry 0-10 1-11 Monaghan

Donegal 1-13 0-06 Tyrone

Division Two

Roscommon 1-10 1-14 Galway

Division Three

Wexford 0-07 1-12 Fermanagh

Tipperary 0-15 0-13 Sligo

Limerick 2-10 1-05 Clare

Division Four

London 5-06 2-15 Waterford

Antrim 1-10 0-12 Wicklow

Carlow 0-06 1-12 Leitrim

Longford 0-13 0-10 Offaly


Division One

Dublin 0-08 0-04 Derry

Division Two

Laois 1-09 1-12 Kildare

Cavan 1-08 1-03 Westmeath

Down 0-10 2-11 Meath

Division Three

Armagh 0-10 0-08 Louth