All-Ireland U21 Football semi-final: Tyrone 0-17 0-12 Roscommon

Roscommon's Diarmuid Murtagh feels the full force of Ruairi Mullan's tackle in the semi-final
Roscommon's Diarmuid Murtagh feels the full force of Ruairi Mullan's tackle in the semi-final

Tyrone secured a place in the All-Ireland U21 final for the first time since 2003 thanks to a five-point win over Roscommon at Markievicz Park.

Lee Brennan starred with a superb attacking display, hitting six points, including five gems from play.

Tyrone led the semi-final from start to finish and held a 0-10 to 0-7 advantage at the break.

Roscommon closed the gap to two points but Tyrone held firm to set up a decider against Tipperary.

Tyrone raced into a three-point lead, with Brennan hitting the target twice and midfielder Cathal McShane slotting over the first of his three points.

Diarmuid Murtagh landed a 43-metre free for the Rossies in the 10th minute, which was cancelled out by a superb score from Mark Kavanagh.

Midfielder Cathal Compton brought Rosocmmon very much into the picture with two points, but the Red Hands restored their three point cushion when McShane landed his second.

Murtagh and Ronan Daly both converted frees and Compton fired over his third before the Red Hands finished the first half strongly with points from Brennan and Danny McNulty.

Roscommon substitute Thomas Corcoran drilled a '45 between the posts on the restart, but the Ulster champions countered and the brilliant Brennan fired over his fifth point.

And when McNulty and Murtagh swapped points, the sides were still separated by three going into the final quarter.

Roscommon turned up the tempo as they went desperately in search of scores, but they ran into solid Tyrone defending led by Padraig Hampsey, Frank Burns and Kieran McGeary.

The westerners did get back on track and Murtagh's sixth point closed the gap to two.

But after surviving a spell of intense pressure, the Red Hands broke away to kill the game off with late scores from Brennan, Burns and McNulty.

Tyrone: S Fox, R Mullan, P Hampsey, M Cassidy (0-1), C McLaughlin, R Brennan, K McGeary, F Burns (0-1), C McShane (0-3), C Meyler, M Kavanagh (0-2), M Walsh, L Brennan (0-6, 1f), D McNulty (0-4, 3f), R McGlone.

Subs: S McKenna for McGlone (39), M Bradley for Kavanagh (44), P McKenna for Walsh (56), D Kavanagh for L Brennan (70)

Roscommon: S Mannion, N McInerney, S Mullooly, D Barron, E McGrath, C Kenny, R Daly (0-1, f), C Compton (0-3), T O'Rourke, S Killoran, U Harney, K Kilcline, D Murtagh (0-6 (4f), E Smith, P Kenny.

Subs: N Kelly for Mannion (29), T Corcoran (0-1, '45) for O'Rourke (32), J Earley (0-1) for Kilcline (h-t), N Gately for Kenny (39), K Finn for Compton (58), D Neary for Kenny (59)

Referee: P O'Sullivan (Kerry)

Top Stories