McKenna Cup final: Tyrone beat Derry for five-in-a-row

Tyrone beat Derry in a hotly-contested McKenna Cup final in Armagh

Tyrone clinched a fifth straight McKenna Cup triumph with a 1-22 to 1-17 extra-time victory over the Oak Leafers in the Athletic Grounds decider.

Ryan Bell's goal helped Derry to a two-point lead near the end of normal time.

Tyrone pair Cathal McCarron and Ronan McNamee were sent-off late on along with Derry's Daniel McKinless.

Tyrone hit two points deep into injury-time to draw level at 0-15 to 1-12 and force extra time before Darren Curry's penalty sealed a Red Hands success.

The holders opened up a 0-3 to 0-1 lead inside the first 13 minutes but struggled for long spells.

Derry reeled off 1-4 in a row with Bell netting after 29 minutes - his penalty attempt was blocked by Niall Morgan but the Ballinderry forward gathered the rebound to score.

Ronan O'Neill ended a long scoring drought for Tyrone, chipping over from close range for the Red Hands' first point in 22 minutes.

Tyrone trailed by 1-5 to 0-4 at the break and manager Mickey Harte made a triple substitution at the start of the second half.

Tyrone's Mattie Donnelly manages to get the ball out of Enda Lynn's grasp in Saturday night's decider
Tyrone's Mattie Donnelly manages to get the ball out of Enda Lynn's grasp in the McKenna decider

Conor Meyler's energy was a big factor in Tyrone's improved display but Derry still led by four points, at 1-9 to 0-8, midway through the second half.

Tyrone subs Niall Sludden and McCurry nailed 0-3 from play inside three minutes to draw the holders level and set up an exciting finish.

Derry responded well with Enda Lynn and Conor Kearns scoring from play.

Tempers flared towards the end of normal time with McCarron receiving a straight red card while McNamee and McKinless were dismissed for two yellows.

Oak Leaf manager Damian Barton also finished the game in the stands.

Referee Noel Mooney signalled four minutes of injury-time but played six, allowing one last Tyrone attack.

When Niall Sludden was fouled, McCurry hit the equaliser and the Red Hands were the more convincing side in extra time.

McCurry converted a penalty with seconds remaining to secure a 10th McKenna Cup success for Harte.

Tyrone: N Morgan; C McCarron, R McNamee, HP McGeary (0-1); T McCann (0-1), J McMahon, B Tierney; C Cavanagh, C Clarke; H Og Conlon, M Donnelly, C McShane (0-3); L Brennan (0-4, 2f), R O'Neill (0-1), P Quinn

Subs: P McNulty for Clarke (HT), C Meyler (0-3, 1f) for Conlon (HT), C McAliskey (0-3, 3f) for Quinn (HT), D McCurry (1-3, pen, 1f) for O'Neill (47), N Sludden (0-2) for McMahon (51), J Munroe (0-1) for McShane (66), P Hampsey for Tierney (72), C McShane for McGeary (76)

Derry: T Mallon; C Mullan, M Craig, K McKaigue; G McKinless, C McKaigue, D Heavron; B Rogers, E Bradley (0-2); E Lynn (0-3), J Kielt (0-3, 2f), B Heron; S Heavron, C O'Boyle (0-1, f), R Bell (1-1, f)

Subs: C McAtamney (0-1) for Rogers (1), C Bradley (0-1) for S Heavron (32), O Duffy (0-1) for Craig (41), C Kearns (0-2) for Heron (49), D McKinless for Bell (53), N Forrester (0-1) for G McKinless (59), G McWilliams (0-1, f) for Kielt (79)

Referee: Noel Mooney (Cavan)