Derry's Enda Lynn and Brendan Rogers facing lengthy absences

Brendan Rogers walks off after sustaining a nasty facial gash at the Athletic Grounds

Derry's Dr McKenna Cup final defeat by Tyrone came at a further cost with Enda Lynn and Brendan Rogers sustaining serious injuries in the feisty contest.

Rogers required 14 stitches in a facial gash following a challenge by Tyrone's Tiernan McCann seconds after the opening throw-in at Armagh.

Slaughtneil man Rogers had the stitches inserted on Sunday and will almost certainly be out for a number of weeks.

Lynn suffered a suspected broken ankle late in the game after a fine display.

Greenlough club-man Lynn's injury appeared to come after an innocuous challenge but the ailment will almost certainly rule him out for several months and end his hopes of featuring in the Football League which starts this weekend.

Rogers, meanwhile, also looks certain to miss a number of Derry's Division 2 matches which start with Sunday's opener against Fermanagh at Owenbeg.

Slaughtneil player Rogers was named at midfield for Saturday's contest and the match video suggests that he may have been caught by McCann's right elbow immediately after challenging for the initial throw-in.

After the ball was thrown in, McCann comes in from the side and the footage shows the Tyrone man clattering into Rogers although the Red Hand county player appears to be focusing on the ball rather than the Derry midfielder when the contact is made.

Rogers' misfortune is also a blow to Queen's as he would have been in line to play for the Belfast university in the Sigerson Cup opener at Maynooth on Tuesday.

Despite requiring the 14 stitches, Rogers attempted to make light of the incident in a tweet on Sunday.

Brendan Rogers makes light of being forced to have 14 stitches inserted in a facial wound following a challenge by Tyrone's Tiernan McCann in Saturday's McKenna Cup final

McCann was the involved in controversy last summer when he theatrically collapsed to the turf after having his hair ruffled by Monaghan's Darren Hughes in the All-Ireland quarter-final at Croke Park.

The Tyrone player's reaction to Hughes' action led to the Monaghan man being sent off.

After the outcry following the incident, McCann was handed an eight-week suspension by the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee but the ban was later ruled out of order following the Tyrone player's appeal.

In terms of the McKenna Cup decider, the Ulster Council may feel the need to peruse several incidents in the match video, including the second-half fracas which led to two dismissals and Derry manager Damian Barton being ordered to the stand.

That particular incident flared up after a dangerous sliding challenge by Derry forward Daniel McKinless on Tyrone defender Ronan McNamee.

Tyrone beat Derry in a hotly-contested McKenna Cup final in Armagh

That particular incident flared up after a dangerous sliding challenge by Derry forward McKinless on Tyrone defender Ronan McNamee.

The Tyrone man reacted by pushing over McKinless, and appearing to make contact with the Derry man's throat in the process.

As other players and Barton joined the fray, Tyrone goalkeeper Niall Morgan attempted to pull up McKinless up off the ground and the Derry boss then pushed the Red Hand keeper before, in turn, being jostled by Cathal McCarron.

After order was restored by Cavan referee Noel Mooney, McKinless and McNamee were both handed yellow cards which resulted in the Tyrone man being sent off as he had been cautioned earlier.

Derry boss Barton was also ordered to the stand while Cathal McCarron received a straight red card for his part in the melee.

McKinless was sent off late in normal time after picking up a second yellow card although he was able to rejoin the fray during extra-time, which is regarded as a new game under GAA rules.