Antrim lose Christy Ring Cup final against Meath after claims of scoreline blunder

Meath's Joey Keena challenges Antrim's Neal McAuley at Croke Park
Antrim's defeat means they miss out on next year's Liam McCarthy Cup

Antrim suffered a last-gasp 2-18 to 1-20 defeat by Meath in the Christy Ring Cup final but the game ended amid confusion with suggestions that the score had been miscalculated.

Journalists in Croke Park felt the score in Croke Park was 2-17 to 1-20 which would have meant extra-time.

But Meath were presented with the cup as the Antrim county team's malaise of recent times continued.

Sean Quigley hit a late 1-1 to spark Meath celebrations.

However, the doubts over the scoreline suggest that this fixture may not be quite over yet and Antrim have indicated that they will view the match video before deciding whether to appeal against the result.

There are suggestions that the problem arose when the stadium scoreboard incorrectly Meath and Antrim point in the 63rd minute.

The scoreboard was quickly adjusted to register an Antrim point but there is a suggestion that the Meath score wasn't taken away.

Saffrons squander nine-point lead

Antrim appeared totally in control early on as Conor Johnston's 15th-minute goal and scores from Niall McKenna, James Connolly and Ciaran Clarke helped them lead 1-7 to 0-1 after 19 minutes.

However, four James Toher points saw Meath cutting Antrim's lead to 1-10 to 0-7 by the interval.

Meath were right in the contest five minutes after the restart as Neil Heffernan smashed in a superb goal.

Antrim seemed to have regained the initiative as four successive points - including two Eddie McCloskey efforts - left them five ahead.

However, points from Joe Keenan and Adam Gannon kept Meath very much in touch before substitute Quigley's late scores saw the Royals snatching the county's first Christy Ring Cup title.

But the doubts over the accuracy of the final score could mean that Meath's celebrations prove premature.

Armagh's Conor Devlin challenges Mayo's Shane Boland
Antrim lost a second straight Nicky Rackard Cup final as they were beaten by Mayo

Armagh lose second straight Rackard final

Armagh suffered a second straight Nicky Rackard Cup final defeat as Mayo earned a 2-16 to 1-15 victory.

Kenny Feeney starred with a 1-9 haul for the Connacht men as they headed west with the silverware

Darren McTigue's third-minute goal gave Mayo a great start before David Carvill, Ryan Gaffney and skipper Cathal Carvill responded with Armagh scores.

Mayo regrouped to lead by four but Armagh fought back to trail by the minimum, 0-9 to 1-5, at the interval.

Armagh took the lead straight after the restart as Eoin McGuinness finishing clinically to the net after Coulter had made a searing run through the heart of the Mayo defence.

Mayo responded with three points in the spin from Shane Boland, Feeney and substitute Fergal Boland had them back level.

Armagh eased back in front through Coulter and Gaffney, but Mayo found another gear, with Cathal Freeman and Keith Higgins providing the impetus from deep.

In the 57th minute Feeney banged in a goal, but Armagh responded with three more points, the best of them from Coulter, brought the sides level.

However, that was as good as it got for Armagh as Feeney, Sean Regan and substitute Corey Scahill hit spectacular points to clinch Mayo's win.

Top Stories