All-Ireland Football 3B qualifier: Tipperary 1-15 1-17 Armagh

Armagh's Niall Grimley, Mark Shields and Stephen Sheridan surround Tipperary's Bill Maher
Armagh's win avenged their league defeat by Tipperary in April

Armagh fought back from four points down early in the second half to edge out Tipperary 1-17 to 1-15 in the All-Ireland Football qualifier at Thurles.

Tipp led 0-10 to 0-8 at half-time after Armagh had a goal ruled out when ref Paddy Neilan didn't play the advantage.

Michael Quinlivan's goal helped increase Tipperary's lead to four.

However as Tipp tired, Armagh hit seven of the next nine scores to lead and Jamie Clarke's late soccer-style goal sealed their victory.

Niall Grimley's eight points, including two scores from play, were crucial to Armagh's deserved victory, which avenged their heartbreaking league defeat by the Premier County in April.

Tipperary were also the victims of referee Neilan playing the advantage in injury-time as he awarded a free when substitute Philip Austin was bearing down on goal, when Armagh led by four

With a 20-metre free instead being awarded, Tipp registered a point but while Quinlivan attempted to hammer two later 13-metre frees into the Armagh net, the Orchard men held firm to qualify for the final 12 of the All-Ireland Championship where they will face either the losers of the Leinster or Ulster Finals.

Tipperary's George Hannigan is tackled by Armagh's Mark Shields
Tipperary looked in a strong position when they led by four early in the second half

Armagh angered by disallowed goal

Neilan's failure to play the advantage in the 19th minute as Gavin McParland drilled the ball into the Tipp net was the big talking point of the first half.

Clarke's magnificent crossfield pass was gathered by McParland and the corner-forward didn't even appear to be fouled before beating Ciaran Kenrick from close range.

But Neilan had already blown his whistle to Armagh's fury although Clarke did tap over the resultant free.

The score cut Tipp's lead to 0-5 to 0-4 but seemingly rejuvenated by the let-off, the home side held the edge during the remainder of the first half as Jack Kennedy, George Hannigan and Liam Casey started to hold sway in the middle third of the field.

Armagh suffered a blow in the 25th minute as Gregory McCabe, making his first championship start, was forced off by a shoulder injury after being among the Ulster county's early scorers.

Two Josh Keane points and a Casey point put Tipperary three ahead in first-half injury time before crucially Rory Grugan replied after Kennedy had missed an opportunity to extend the home team's lead to four.

Kieran McGeeney and Jamie Clarke celebrate after Armagh's win in Thurles
Kieran McGeeney's Armagh side have qualified for the last 12 of the All-Ireland Championship

Orchard men fight back after Quinlivan goal

The margin did become four three minutes into the second half as Quinlivan, in his only major contribution of the contest, burst past two defenders before firing a great shot into the roof of the net.

Quinlivan's 3-1 at the Athletic Grounds had ensured Tipperary's stunning win in the Spring but his ankle injury severely inhibited his mobility in Saturday's contest.

Instead of pushing on, Tipperary failed to score for the next 20 minutes as four Grimley points levelled the contest.

Keane, now assuming free-taking duties after Jack Kennedy's black card for an off-the-ball challenge, restored Tipp's lead on 58 but it was obvious that home side were by now tiring.

A drilled reply by McParland levelled the sides again and Armagh moved ahead for the first time in the 61st minute as Clarke pointed after Tipp substitute Austin had lost possession.

Stefan Campbell's introduction also gave crucial fresh legs to the Orchard County attack in the closing stages and his point restored Armagh's lead in the 66th minute after Conor Sweeney had levelled two minutes earlier.

Another advantage call by Neilan played a part in the build-up to Clarke's decisive call as the referee, on this occasion, seemed to err in allowing Tipperary to continue instead of awarding a free for a foul on Austin.

After Tipp were turned over near the Armagh end line, Stephen Sheridan charged upfield and McParland then unselfishly found Clarke, who dummied keeper Ciaran Kenrick before rolling the ball into the net.

After Austin's reply cut Armagh's lead to three, then came the final advantage controversy as Austin bore down on goal.

After Keane slotted the Tipp free, Sheridan quickly fisted another Armagh reply and while Tipp pressure yielded Quinlivan's two last-gasp chances to fire direct for goal, the visitors held firm to clinch victory.

All-Ireland Football Championship qualifiers Round 3B - Results
Tipperary 1-15Armagh 1-17
Carlow 1-07vMonaghan 1-12

Tipperary: C Kenrick; P Codd, A Campbell, E Moloney; B Maher, R Kiely, J Feehan; L Casey, G Hannigan; J Keane, K O'Halloran, B Fox (capt); C Sweeney, J Kennedy, M Quinlivan.

Armagh: B Hughes; J Morgan, C Vernon, M Shields; P Hughes, B Donaghy, A Forker; S Sheridan, N Grimley; C O'Hanlon, G McCartan, R Grugan; J Clarke, A Murnin, G McParland.

Top Stories