Tyrone under-20 and minors both exit from football championships

Kerry's players after their Munster Final win over Cork last month
Kerry are aiming for a sixth straight All-Ireland Football minor title

Tyrone endured double disappointment in Tullamore as both their minor and under-20 footballers suffered All-Ireland Championship defeats.

The Red Hand minors led six-in-a-row seeking Kerry 0-6 to 0-3 at half-time but the Kingdom fought back to earn a 1-12 to 0-9 quarter-final win.

Tyrone seemed certain winners in the under-20 semi-final as they led Cork 1-13 to 1-6 early in the second half.

But Joe Oguz's red carding turned the game as Cork earned a 2-17 to 1-18 win.

The Ulster champions had to play the final 15 minutes a man down following the second yellow card dismissal of midfielder Oguz, and the possession their opponents were able to muster during that spell proved crucial, as they pushed for home with a brilliant individual goal from substitute Jack Murphy.

Darragh Canavan is the son of Tyrone football great Peter Canavan
Darragh Canavan's goal helped Tyrone lead by seven but Cork fought back to win

Mark Cronin's goal helped Cork take an early lead but Sean Og McAleer's pass set up Darragh Canavan to net the perfect response as Tyrone took control to move five ahead before Colm Barrett reduced the margin in first-half injury-time.

Two Tiarnan Quinn points helped increase Tyrone's advantage to seven but the Leesiders found a new gear as Cathal O'Mahony slotted a couple of frees, with Cronin sending a delightful effort sailing between the posts.

Tyrone sub Ethan Jordan capped a lung-busting 85 metre run with a point, but Cork had some individual magic of their own to unleash, and it was substitute Jack Murphy ghosted past three defenders to rifle home a wonderful solo goal in the 38th minute.

That score came moments after Oguz had been sent of on a second yellow card, but they got themselves back in front through substitute Michael Conroy going into the final ten minutes.

But with the extra man, Cork were able to push up on Tyrone's kick-outs and win the battle for possession around the middle, with fresh legs coming off the bench and contributing generously as Fionn Herlihy and Eanna O'Hanlon hit two points each.

O'Mahony continued to strike accurately, bringing his tally to seven, and they were still full of running right at the end as they held on two win by two.

Kerry earn 34th straight win at minor level

In the minor game, Tyrone's superb defensive display in the first half threatened to unhinge the Kingdom.

However, the class of the champions came to the fore after the break, and the Red Hands had no answer as Kerry extended their remarkable winning run at minor level to 34 games, as they chase a sixth straight title.

After Luke Donnelly's opening score, his further free and a Mark Devlin point left Tyrone 0-3 to 0-1 ahead as McGleenan's midfield power was driving the Red Hands forward.

Goalkeeper Devon Burns came to Kerry's rescue twice, first deflecting a Donnelly screamer over the bar, before stopping Conor Cuddy's effort, with Devlin converting the resultant '45 for a 0-5 to 0-2 lead.

Fullerton added another, and the first half had slipped into stoppage time when Dylan Geaney scored the Kingdom's first point from play, and they went in at the break trailing by 0-6 to 0-3.

But Kerry turned up the tempo, with Jack O'Connor on target twice within three minutes of the restart before Geaney's creativity set up Emmet O'Shea to narrow the gap to a single point on 40 minutes.

After Eoghan O'Sullivan levelled the contest, substitute Joseph Linehan and Gearoid Hassett combined for O'Shea to finish from close range past Fintan Coney.

Tyrone's unravelling challenge suffered a further double blow when full-back Micheal McCann received a straight red card, and midfielder Michael McGleenan picked up a black.

Top Stories