Donegal SFC: Final between Gaoth Dobhair and Naomh Conaill goes to second replay

Gweedore and Glenties play out a draw in Sunday's Donegal SFC final replay

The Donegal SFC final will go to a second replay after Gaoth Dobhair and Naomh Conaill could not be separated after extra-time in Ballybofey.

Charles McGuinness scored an early penalty for the Glenties outfit but Ulster club champions Gaoth Dobhair fought back to draw 0-14 to 1-11.

A second replay will take place on Wednesday night.

The winners take on Cavan champions Castlerahan in the first round of the Ulster championship four days later.

Naomh Conaill rallied in extra time but a Gaoth Dobhair fight-back was rounded off by Shane Ferry's late equaliser.

After a dour 0-8 to 0-8 draw in the first game, favourites Gaoth Dobhair were expected to win second time around.

The defending champions lost key man Odhran McFadden Ferry before throw-in but were awarded an early penalty, McGuinness keeping his composure to slot his penalty past Criostoir Mac Suibhne.

Odhran Mac Niallais hit two points either side of Jeaic McKelvey's score to get Gaoth Dobhair on the board.

Odhran Mac Niallais
Donegal forward Odhran Mac Niallais kept the scoreboard ticking over for Gaoth Dobhair

Cian Mulligan levelled it for the holders five minutes before the break before Doherty's second point of the game.

Eamon McGee equalised once more before Mulligan's point but Gaoth Dobhair took a one-point lead into the break through Mulligan's second point of the game.

Glenties don't give in

Eamonn O Colm's free extended the lead for Mervyn O'Donnell's men but Ciaran Thompson and Eoghan McGettigan levelled the game for the Glenties outfit.

Kieran Gallagher was black-carded for Naomh Conaill before Michael Carroll and Mac Niallais nudged the Gweedore side ahead as tempers began to flare at Ballybofey.

Dermot Molloy hit a superb point to bring the deficit down to one before Thompson knocked over a free with in injury-time to send the game to extra-time with a score of 0-9 to 1-6.

Mac Niallais missed a great opportunity to stamp Gaoth Dobhair's authority on extra-time but he blazed a penalty over the bar for a point after Naomh Conaill were penalised for handling on the ground.

Shane Ferry
Shane Ferry gave away a penalty for Gaoth Dobhair but hit the late equaliser that forced a second replay

Gaoth Dobhair went further clear through Mac Niallais and Jame O'Baoill before Molloy stopped the rot for the Glenties side, but Daire O'Baoill's superb score restored the three-point advantage.

McGettigan's close-range free kept Naomh Conaill in the game and three points in a row from Thompson, Doherty and Ethan O'Donnell put the south-west outfit one point ahead.

However, a frantic finish saw Shane Ferry hit a last-gasp leveller for Gaoth Dobhair, which means a third game will be required to separate the sides, and this time it will be played to the death.

Top Stories

Also in NI Sport