Get Inspired: How to get into basketball
How do I start?
What is basketball?
- A game where two teams compete to score the most points by throwing a ball into their opponents net.
- Players can move freely around the court, except for the player with the ball who can only move when bouncing or 'dribbling' the ball.
- All you need to get started is a ball and a hoop and you don't need any special kit - just comfortable clothes and trainers.
Is it for me?
Basketball can be played by people of any age, size or ability and with thousands of outdoor courts across the country - where you can play for free - there's plenty of places to practice if you don't fancy competing with a team.
What to expect when I start?
- Basketball is a fun, fast and stamina-building sport with players burning up to 600 calories an hour.
- The sport is a mixture of dribbling, passing and shooting which helps improve balance and co-ordination.
- With clubs across the country, it's a great way to meet new people and develop teamwork and communication skills and many clubs offer a variety of social events away from the court.
- Wheelchair Basketball embraces a range of disabilities and is equally as fast paced and exciting as the traditional game. Wheelchair Basketball is a great way of improving upper-body strength and building confidence. British Wheelchair Basketball provide opportunities to play across the UK.
To get you in the mood ...
Are you inspired to try basketball? Or maybe you are a keen enthusiast already? Get in touch and tell us your experience of the activity by tweeting us on @bbcgetinspired, visiting us on Facebook or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
All clubs need a chair, secretary and treasurer to help things run smoothly as well as officials, coaches and judges. Whatever role you're interested in, Join In has opportunities to volunteer in your area.