World Cup 2023: How to get into netball
From the section Get Inspired
How do I start?
Find a club in England,Wales,Scotland or Northern Ireland to get going.
What is netball?
Netball is a seven-a-side game where the aim is to score goals by passing the ball down the court and throwing it in your opponents net. Unlike basketball, players are not allowed to move/run/dribble with the ball. It is all about the passing.
The 2023 World Cup is taking place next summer in South Africa, with teams from England, Scotland, and Wales competing against the likes of Australia and Jamaica. So there's no better time to get inspired by the top teams and have a go at netball yourself!
Is it for me?
No matter what your fitness level is, there is a position on court for everyone. Netball is a semi-contact sport, so men and women and boys and girls can all play on the same side. There's also a strong sense of friendship and team-bonding within netball teams.
Take a listen to the Netballers podcast for more insights about all levels of netball.
What to expect when I start?
- Netball is an all over body workout so is great for losing weight and improving muscle tone.
- You don't need any special kit, just clothes that you feel comfortable exercising in and trainers.
- You move through the court by running and jumping so it helps with balance and co-ordination.
- Walking Netball is growing in popularity and is a low-impact way to play the game with no age limits - younger or older!
- Disability Netball is similar to the traditional game but with a few adaptations such as using a ball with a bell inside for people with visual impairments or installing an induction loop for those who are hearing-impaired. Find your nearest club on Parasport UK.
To get you in the mood…
All clubs need a chair, secretary and treasurer to help things run smoothly as well as officials, coaches and judges. Whatever role you're interested in, Join In has opportunities to volunteer in your area.