Robert Allenby withdraws from tournament after 'kidnapping'
Australian Robert Allenby has pulled out of this week's Humana Challenge in California after he reported being kidnapped, assaulted and robbed.
The four-time PGA Tour winner is recovering following the ordeal, which happened in Hawaii on Friday after he missed the cut at the Sony Open.
Allenby, 43, said in a statement he has withdrawn from this week's event on the advice of his doctor.
"This will enable me to ensure I am fully recovered," he said.
"I anticipate a full recovery and look forward to returning in the near future."
Allenby, ranked 271 in the world, said earlier this week that a homeless woman spotted him being dumped from a car, after being kidnapped, driven for six miles, and robbed of his phone and wallet.
However, there were reports in the US press on Monday that the woman had given conflicting details, saying she found Allenby just one block away from the bar he had been drinking in.
In text messages to the Golf Channel, Allenby responded: "It's such a shame that people are focusing on whether the story is true. I say you only have to look at me to see the truth."
Pictures shown on the Golf Channel showed Allenby with cuts on his nose and forehead and bruising around his eye.
His caddie Mick Middlemo said Allenby woke up groggy with no initial recollection of what happened to him.
Honolulu police said detectives were "reviewing witness statements and gathering security video footage" as part of a robbery investigation.