Irish Cup exit for holders Banbridge

By Nigel RinglandBBC Sport NI
Banbridge's Jamie Wright attempts to beat Railway Union goalkeeper Stephen O'Keefe
Banbridge's Jamie Wright attempts to beat Railway Union goalkeeper Stephen O'Keefe

Holders Banbridge crashed out of the Irish Senior Cup after a 3-1 defeat at Railway Union on Saturday.

Lisnagarvey beat Instonians 3-0 and are the only Ulster side left in the draw after defeats for Cookstown, Kilkeel, Annadale, South Antrim and Mossley.

In the women's competition Ulster Elks continued their defence of the trophy with a 6-1 win at Corinthian.

They're joined in the quarter-finals by Ards, Pegasus and Ballymoney, who won on penalty strokes against Muckross.

There will be huge frustration for Banbridge to go out of the cup at the second round stage, especially after they took the lead over Railway Union.

But having failed to take their chances they succumbed to the Dublin side with goals coming from Nick Tate, Mark English and Simon McKeever.

Men's Irish Cup second round
Three Rock Rovers3-1Cookstown
Cork C of I3-0Kilkeel
Glenanne6-5Mossley (after pens)
Pembroke9-1South Antrim
Railway Union3-1Banbridge

At Shaw's Bridge a goal from Neal Glassy in the first minute gave Lisnagarvey the perfect start against Instonians and when Sean Murray added a second goal from open play before the quarter of an hour mark, it seemed comfortable for the IHL side.

However, Instonians kept battling and had what should have been a goal on the stroke of half-time disallowed after the ball hit the foot of the umpire and he blew the play dead before the rebound was struck into the net.

Instonians tried hard to get back into the game in the second half and forced John Tormey into a number of good saves while Garvey's defence was well marshalled by captain Jonny Bell.

With the last play of the game Glassey scored his second to add a little gloss to the scoreline.

Elsewhere it wasn't a good day for Ulster sides as Cookstown were beaten 3-1 at Three Rock Rovers, Kilkeel lost 3-0 at Cork C of I and despite two goals from Robbie McGuire, Annadale's poor season continued as they lost 6-3 at home to YMCA.

South Antrim were hammered 9-1 by Pembroke Wanderers and Mossley pushed IHL side Glenanne all the way to penalty shots before losing 6-5. Monkstown were the other winners beating UCC 6-1.

Women's Irish Cup second round
Corinthian1-6Ulster Elks
Hermes2-1Cork Harlequins
Lurgan1-2Railway Union
Ards3-0Trinity College
Muckross3-5Ballymoney (after pens)

Six different scorers found the net for holders Ulster Elks as they eased into the last eight with a 6-1 win at Corinthian. Laura McAlpine, Megan Frazer, Gemma Frazer, Jessica McMaster, Robyn Chambers and Kirstie Lammey were the ladies on target.

Pegasus won their Ulster derby at Dungannon 4-1 with Suzanne Ferris and Vanessa Surgenor among the scorers while Ards beat Trinity College 3-0 with Chloe Brown, Emma Reid and Kerry Harvey getting their goals.

Ballymoney are also in the hat for the quarter-final draw after edging Muckross 5-3 after penalty strokes.

Randalstown were beaten 3-0 at home by UCD while Lurgan were unlucky not to get more from their home tie against Railway Union. Sarah McClure got their goal in a 2-1 defeat but they had two other opportunities cleared off the line.

Dublin sides Loreto and Hermes complete the line up for the quarter-finals.

Top Stories