Sir Alex Ferguson's Telescope ruled out of Epsom Derby

Richard Hughes on Telescope

Third favourite Telescope is out of the Epsom Derby after suffering a sore left shin, according to trainer Sir Michael Stoute.

The horse, owned by a syndicate in which former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has a share, was given a racecourse gallop on Wednesday.

Stoute described it as a "workmanlike display" and has subsequently decided the colt will not run on 1 June.

"He's not giving us the right signs and won't be running," he said.

The three-year-old's withdrawal leaves 16-1 chance Libertarian, trained in Yorkshire by Elaine Burke, as the shortest-priced British hope for the race.

Telescope originally missed his intended Derby trial in the Dante Stakes at York last week because of a leg infection picked up after grazing two of his legs while being loaded into a horsebox.

The colt last raced in September, winning the EBF Maiden Stakes at Newmarket.

Jim Bolger, trainer of Derby favourite Dawn Approach, gave an upbeat report on the 2000 Guineas winner.

"I'm very happy with him at the moment. I won't be losing sleep over who turns up," said Bolger, who owns 49% of the colt, with the other 51% owned by Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin racing operation.

Fellow Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien indicated son Joseph would be aboard second favourite Battle of Marengo, while Guineas sixth-placed finisher Mars is likely to be among his runners.

At the Breakfast with the Stars event on Thursday morning, French trainer Andre Fabre declared himself pleased with 7-1 chance Ocovango after a gallop on the track.

And the race, which was first run in 1780, is set to have its first German-trained runner in Chopin, with Andreas Wohler saddling the horse for Sheikh Fahad al Thani's Qatar Racing.

Top Stories