Matt Keith upbeat despite Braehead Clan form

By Craig AndersonFor BBC Sport Scotland
Ice hockey

Braehead Clan captain Matt Keith admits his team haven't played their best this season, but remains upbeat about the second half of the season.

The Glasgow side picked up three points from four in a weekend that saw them win against Dundee Stars, but lose in overtime to Belfast Giants.

He said: "It's frustrating to not be able to win the games when you go into overtime, but it's a process.

"If you get even half of those points lost, you're higher than you are."

He added: "But where we are in the standings, we haven't played our best and haven't strung together enough games and it's still a long way to go.

"That extra point could make a difference later.

"The momentum was with us going into overtime and we deserved to be there."

Two goals from Brendan Brooks set Braehead Clan on the way to a second consecutive away win as the men in purple won 4-2 at Dundee Stars on Boxing Day.

The game was only 64 seconds old when Brooks picked up his first, but Martins Porejs levelled for the home side before Brooks struck again as Ryan Finnerty's side restored their slender advantage.

John Dolan re-established parity for the Stars with a goal three minutes into the final period, but Clan finished them off through Chris Bruton and Stefan Meyer.

On Sunday, it was more a point gained as Clan fought back from 3-1 down to take Belfast Giants beyond regulation time in a lacklustre display, but lost out 4-3 in overtime.

Giants took the lead through James Desmarais before Kris Beech added a second on the powerplay as the visitors went two up after the first.

Meyer pulled one back for the Clan early in the second period, but Craig Peacock restored the two-goal lead shortly after for the Giants.

Braehead clawed level with third period goals from Thomas Nesbitt and Scott Pitt, but Mitch Ganzak popped up with Belfast's winner in overtime to claim the points in the end.

Fife Flyers consigned Edinburgh Capitals to another defeat as well as a shutout, with the Kirkcaldy men winning 3-0 on Saturday.

It was a goal in each period for TJ Caig, Patrick Cullen and Ryan Dingle respectively in a welcomed two points for Fife, with new boy Nico Sacchetti picking up two assists on his debut.

However, Sunday proved to be one to forget as Manchester Storm thrashed them 5-1 in Altrincham to kill any momentum stirring from Saturday's win.

Vinny Scarsella put Manchester in front, but that was quickly cancelled out by Danny Stewart for Fife, only for Scarsella to restore Storm's lead.

By the end of the second they were 3-1 up as Paul Phillips struck to open a two-goal gap on their visitors.

However, Patrik Valcak and Ricards Birzinsh killed the Flyers off with goals in the final period as Storm kept the points for themselves.

The Capitals then headed to Dundee Stars on Sunday in the hope of getting their form back on track, but left with what's now their seventh straight loss as the Stars beat them 6-2 on Tayside.

Paul Zanette put Edinburgh in front inside 40 seconds but Dundee roared back through Bobby Chaumont, Lou Dickenson, Riley Wetmore and Justin Faryna for a 4-1 lead.

Chaumont added a fifth to claim his second of the night, before Jacob Johnston found the net for the Caps soon after.

However Dickenson, a former Caps player, also took his second goal of the game to pile further misery on Riley Emmerson's men.



Dundee Stars 2 Braehead Clan 4

Fife Flyers 3 Edinburgh Capitals 0


Braehead Clan 3 Belfast Giants 4 (OT)

Dundee Stars 6 Edinburgh Capitals 2

Manchester Storm 5 Fife Flyers 1

Top Stories