Quote Message: The Netherlands has lost a unique and genial star who gave sport a new face. He was an icon of the Netherlands from Dutch King Willem-Alexander.
- Johan Cruyff dies of cancer at the age of 68
- The Dutchman played and coached for Ajax and Barcelona
- GET INVOLVED #bbcsportsday
- Copyright: Rex Features
Kevin Mark Jones: Growing up in the 70s, you watched football and realised the Dutch and Cruyff were doing something new, something great.
Philip Reilly: Loved it when I nailed the Cruyff turn as a young boy at primary school. Even better watching my boys do it. RIP Johan Cruyff.
- Quote Message: RIP Johan Cruyff. The best ever Dutch player we had and will have. The man who changed the game we all love. You have been a big inspiration in my football life Johan. Thank you & may your soul rest in peace from Robin van Persie Netherlands striker
“Why couldn’t you beat a richer club? I’ve never seen a bag of money score a goal.”
“You play football with your head, and your legs are there to help you.”
- Quote Message: Recently I heard someone say; when I'm abroad and tell people I'm from Holland, they say the country that's famous for its tulips and for Johan Cruyff. That's something that will always remain the same. A true legend from Memphis Depay Manchester United and Netherlands winger
Jan Olsson, the Sweden defender who was the first victim of Johan Cruyff and his legendary turn, cherishes the memory.
“It was the proudest moment of my career," he said. "I thought I’d win the ball for sure, but he tricked me. I was not humiliated. I had no chance. Cruyff was a genius."
Ollie Russchen: Growing up half dutch watching videos and practicing the Cruyff turn as a kid! What a loss, a football legend RIP.
Darrell Jones: Privileged to see Cruyff play for NY Cosmos v Chelsea in 1978.
Jeremy Hill: Johann Cruyff a true footballing legend. Along with George Best he was the greatest player I've ever seen.
barry mullins: Only away player I can ever remember getting a standing ovation from the whole of Villa Park.
Former Netherlands internationalCopyright: Twitter
Thank you Johan for being my biggest inspiration and teacher. Thank you for paving the way for our generation and for putting The Netherlands on the map. Thank you for being you. RIP.
- Copyright: Getty Images
"It’s better to go down with your own vision than with someone else’s."
"If you can’t win, make sure you don’t lose."
"If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better."
Never mind total football, Johan Cruyff was the total footballer...
BBC Sport ScotlandCopyright: Getty Images
One of the few greats, Johan Cruyff was also a funny man. Bemoaning his golf game, he once told me: "I used to know what to do with a ball once."
English golfer David Lynn tweets...
We are asking for your memories of Johan Cruyff and John has sent us an 'usie' - which is apparently a group selfie - with the Dutch legend.
Send us your favourite memories of Cruyff.
Barcelona's president tweets...
- Copyright: Getty ImagesQuote Message: He started the possession game at Barcelona, keep the ball, passing and movement. Pep Guardiola played under Cruyff and all the players were influenced by him. The present squad is pretty much 100% influenced by Cruyff, it all came from him from Steve Archibald Former Barcelona and Scotland striker
- Copyright: BBC Sport