Australia’s Rohan Dennis of Ineos – riding from his garage – dialled in to win the opening race of the Digital Swiss 5 and four more Aussies finished in the top six to give the Green and Gold a great start to the Digital Tour de Suisse.
Ireland’s Nicholas Roche of Sunweb was the only one to get among the leading Aussies, finishing second, a full minute behind Dennis. Australians James Whelan (EF Education), Chris Hamilton (Sunweb), Ben O’Connor (NTT) and Luke Durbridge (Mitchelton-Scott) took the next four places and Cameron Wurf of Ineos added another Australian in the top 10 when he was 10th to cross the finish line.
None of the British riders were on the start line for the opening stage, although Chris Lawless and Ian Stannard will ride for Ineos in Race Two – against a formidable trio in Greg van Avermaet (Belgium, CCC), Edvald Boassen Hagen (Norway, NTT) and Mads Pedersen (Denmark, Trek).
Race One result:
1. Rohan Dennis (Aus) Ineos 0hrs 53min 07secs
2.Nicolas Roche (Ire) Sunweb +0:01:10
3. James Whelan (Aus) EF Education +0:01:28
4. Chris Hamilton (Aus) Sunweb +0:01:39
5. Ben O'Connor (Aus) NTT +0:02:04
6. Luke Durbridge (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott +0:02:17
7. Remco Evenepoel (Bel) Deceuninck-QuickStep +0:02:37
8. Pieter Serry (Bel) Deceuninck-QuickStep +0:03:14
9. Lawson Craddock (US) EF Education +0:03:15
10. Cameron Wurf (Aus) Ineos +0:03:35