Casey Stoner claims pole for US MotoGP in Indianapolis
- 26-28 August
- Saturday 27 August:
- MotoGP qualifying: 1800-2100, BBC Red Button/online
- Sunday 28 August:
- 125cc & Moto2 races: 1550-1715, BBC Red Button/online; MotoGP live: 1830-2000, BBC Two/online; MotoGP repeat: 0000-0130, BBC Red Two/online
MotoGP championship leader Casey Stoner tightened his grip on the title by putting his Honda on pole for Sunday's United States MotoGP in Indianapolis.
The Australian guided his Honda around the 2.61 mile layout in a time of one minute, 38.850 seconds, finishing ahead of American Ben Spies at the Brickyard.
World champion Jorge Lorenzo was third quickest followed by compatriot and last year's Indy winner Dani Pedrosa.
Stoner is chasing a US double having triumphed in Laguna Seca last month.
He will start from the top slot for the seventh time this season as he looks to build on his 32-point cushion over Spaniard Lorenzo at the top of the championship standings.
Stoner said: "I'm very happy with pole here, the team have been doing a great job under difficult conditions this weekend.
"The track is performing a lot better, but the lack of consistency in the grip levels are causing issues, everyone is losing the front and it doesn't give you a lot of confidence, when you hit these patches the bike just seems to drop away from you."
Andrea Dovizioso, Colin Edwards, Marco Simoncelli, Nicky Hayden, Alvaro Bautista and Hector Barbera complete the top 10 after a hot day in Indianapolis.
Indianapolis MotoGP qualification result:
1. Casey Stoner (Australia) Honda 1:38.850
2. Ben Spies (US) Yamaha 1:39.373
3. Jorge Lorenzo (Spain) Yamaha 1:39.629
4. Dani Pedrosa (Spain) Honda 1:39.947
5. Andrea Dovizioso (Italy) Honda 1:40.024
6. Colin Edwards (US) Yamaha 1:40.098
7. Marco Simoncelli (Italy) Honda 1:40.204
8. Nicky Hayden (US) Ducati 1:40.244
9. Alvaro Bautista (Spain) Suzuki 1:40.333
10. Hector Barbera (Spain) Ducati 1:40.360