Casey Stoner earns victory at US MotoGP in Indianapolis
MotoGP championship leader Casey Stoner continued his march towards the title as the Australian took victory at the United States MotoGP in Indianapolis.
The Honda rider, who has finished on the podium in all but one race, came home 4.828 seconds ahead of last year's Indy winner Dani Pedrosa while American Ben Spies was third at the Brickyard.
Spain's world champion Jorge Lorenzo was fourth as he fell further behind Stoner in the MotoGP Championship race.
Stoner now has a 44-point lead.
It was Stoner's third consecutive victory and seventh overall this year as he moved to 243 points having completed 28 laps over the 2.621-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course in 46 minutes, 52.786 seconds.
"It couldn't have gone much better," said Stoner.
"I made a few mistakes in the first and second corner, Jorge came past and it was really difficult to find a place to overtake.
"Conditions were hard so it was about staying consistent and focused."
Andrea Dovizioso who is third in the Championship was fifth, finishing over 17 seconds behind Stoner, while Valentino Rossi came a disappointing tenth.
Indianapolis MotoGP result:
1. Casey Stoner (Australia) Honda 46'52.786
2. Dani Pedrosa (Spain) Honda 46'57.614
3. Ben Spies (USA) Yamaha 47'03.389
4. Jorge Lorenzo (Spain) Yamaha 47'09.362
5. Andrea Dovizioso (Italy) Honda 47'09.988
6. Alvaro Bautista (Spain) Suzuki 47'23.233
7. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha 47'32.476
8. Randy de Puniet (France) Ducati 47'46.202
9. Hiroshi Aoyama (Japan) Honda 47'46.576
10. Valentino Rossi (Italy) Ducati 47'48.131
11. Cal Crutchlow (Britain) Yamaha 47'49.970
12. Marco Simoncelli (Italy) Honda 47'52.927
13. Toni Elias (Spain) Honda 47'54.955
14. Nicky Hayden (USA) Ducati 26 Laps
Moto2 race result:
1. Marc Marquez (Spain) Suter 45'50.601
2. Pol Espargaro (Spain) FTR 45'52.490
3. Esteve Rabat (Spain) FTR 45'52.911
4. Bradley Smith (Britain) Tech 3 45'53.990
5. Scott Redding (Britain) Suter 45'56.275
6. Stefan Bradl (Germany) Kalex 45'59.735
7. Julian Simon (Spain) Suter 45'59.948
8. Mattia Pasini (Italy) FTR 46'05.611
9. Mika Kallio (Finland) Suter 46'05.632
10. Aleix Espargaro (Spain) Pons Kalex 46'05.940
125cc race result:
1. Nicolas Terol (Spain) Aprilia 42'11.978
2. Maverick Vinales (Spain) Aprilia 42'15.611
3. Sandro Cortese (Germany) Aprilia 42'15.715
4. Sergio Gadea (Spain) Aprilia 42'16.205
5. Johann Zarco (France) Derbi 42'26.164
6. Efren Vazquez (Spain) Derbi 42'26.178
7. Hector Faubel (Spain) Aprilia 42'30.455
8. Miguel Oliveira (Portugal) Aprilia 42'35.970
9. Jonas Folger (Germany) Aprilia 42'36.217
10. Jakub Kornfeil (Czech Republic) Aprilia 42'50.726