MotoGP: Dani Pedrosa wins in San Marino - record eighth different winner in a row
Spain's Dani Pedrosa became the record eighth different MotoGP winner in a row as he came from eighth on the grid to win the San Marino Grand Prix.
The Honda rider, 30, overtook Yamaha's Valentino Rossi with 12 laps remaining and crossed the line 2.8 seconds ahead of the Italian.
Rossi closed the gap on championship leader Marc Marquez, who finished fourth, to 43 points.
World champion Jorge Lorenzo was third and Briton Carl Crutchlow eighth.
Pedrosa, who had not won since Malaysia in October 2015, was one of only two drivers to use soft tyres and produced a tactically flawless race.
He steadily moved up towards the front of the field after Rossi had taken the lead from the second of the race's 28 laps.
Italian Lorenzo Baldassarri won his first Moto2 race, while South Africa's Brad Binder took victory in Moto3 to stretch his lead in the drivers' championship.
San Marino MotoGP result:
1. Dani Pedrosa (Spa) Honda - 43 minutes 43.524 seconds
2. Valentino Rossi (Ita) Yamaha - 43:46.361
3. Jorge Lorenzo (Spa) Yamaha - 43:47.883
4. Marc Marquez (Spa) Honda - 43:53.093
5. Maverick Vinales (Spa) Suzuki - 43:58.991
6. Andrea Dovizioso (Ita) Ducati - 44:03.200
7. Michele Pirro (Ita) Ducati - 44:06.460
8. Cal Crutchlow (GB) Honda - 44:09.226
9. Pol Espargaro (Spa) Yamaha - 44:10.679
10. Alvaro Bautista (Spa) Aprilia - 44:17.492
World Championship standings (after race 13 of 18):
1. Marc Marquez (Spa) Honda - 223 points
2. Valentino Rossi (Ita) Yamaha - 180
3. Jorge Lorenzo (Spa) Yamaha - 162
4. Dani Pedrosa (Spa) Honda - 145
5. Maverick Vinales (Spa) Suzuki - 136
6. Andrea Dovizioso (Ita) Ducati - 99
7. Andrea Iannone (Ita) Ducati - 96
8. Cal Crutchlow (GB) Honda - 93
9. Pol Espargaro (Spa) Yamaha - 89
10. Hector Barbera (Spa) Ducati - 81