Violent scenes at Tyrone Gaelic Football League Final

Trouble flares in the stands during the Tyrone football league final
Trouble flares in the stands during the Tyrone football league final

Tyrone GAA chiefs have launched an investigation after Sunday's county football league final was marred by violence on and off the field.

A mass brawl broke out on the field in the closing minutes of the game and violence then erupted in the stands with several people involved.

The match between Dromore and Carrickmore was held up for around 10 minutes before play eventually resumed.

County champions Dromore won 0-11 to 0-6 at Dunmoyle near Ballygawley.

One eyewitness told BBC Sport that "blood was spilled" during the disturbances in the stand.

Carrickmore players Gabriel McCallan and Plunkett McCallan, who are brothers, were sent off following the mass brawl on the pitch.

Tyrone GAA PRO Damian Harvey acknowledged that the scenes "were not pleasant viewing" and confirmed that the county's competitions control committee would investigate the disturbances after receiving the referee's report.

The Tyrone disciplinary body will also have access to a match video which is likely to shed more light on Sunday's events.

"The county's CCC (competitions control committee) which is a sub-committee independent of the county board will take any necessary action after studying the referee's report," said the Tyrone PRO.

Referees are required to produce their match reports within three days of games.

Despite the scenes, Mr Harvey said that there were no reports of anybody sustaining major injuries.

Tyrone GAA county chairman Ciaran McLaughlin added that the involvement of spectators in the disturbances was a "worrying development".

"When something happens outside the perimeter of the field, and spectators become involved, it is very serious," added the Tyrone chairman.

The Carrickmore club has condemned the violent scenes.

Earlier this season, a referee was seriously assaulted at a ladies match in Tyrone, as a result of which two men, one of them a member of the Carrickmore management team, received lifetime bans.

Dromore's victory saw them completing a championship and league double in Tyrone football.