Tyrone fight back to beat Ernemen in McKenna semi-final

Mark Donnelly and Barry Owens
Man of the match Mark Donnelly fends off Barry Owens in the second semi-final at Armagh

Tyrone fought back from four points down in the first half to hammer Peter Canavan's Fermanagh 2-12 to 1-4 in the second Dr McKenna Cup semi-final.

Seamus Quigley's goal gave the Ernemen a 1-2 to 0-1 lead and Fermanagh still led by two at the interval in Armagh.

However, Tyrone took control after the interval as they hit five out of six scores before Owen Mulligan's goal.

Ronan O'Neill added a second late goal for Tyrone who will face Derry in the final at Armagh next Saturday.

O'Neill finished with 1-4 for Mickey Harte's side while Mark Donnelly was named man of the match in the second McKenna Cup game in four days between the sides.

Fermanagh boss Canavan was forced to withdraw goalscorer Quigley at half-time as a precaution as the player was suffering from a tight hamstring.

Tyrone had looked lethargic in the first half but the Ernemen had no answer when the Red Hands turned on the power in the second period.

Fermanagh made a bright start with Sean Quigley and James Sherry pointing to put them 0-2 to 0-1 ahead and Seamus Quigley then netted to extend the Erne advantage to four.

Coney and Mulligan pointed for Tyrone before the break but Fermanagh had largely bossed the exchanges in the opening period as they went in two ahead at half-time.

It appeared as though Mickey Harte had delivered a stern team talk at half-time because Tyrone were a different team after the interval.

Donnelly, substitute Penrose and Ronan O'Neill quickly pointed to put Tyrone ahead for the first time and while Conor Quigley then levelled, further Coney and O'Neill scores put the dominant Red Hands two ahead by the 55th minute.

The contest was effectively ended in the 57th minute when the increasingly influential Mulligan blasted to the net after superbly fielding a long delivery from Penrose.

By that stage of the game, Joe McMahon and Stephen O'Neill had been among the Tyrone replacements although it was Mulligan, Ronan O'Neill and Mark Donnelly who were catching the eye.

Tyrone outscored Fermanagh 1-4 to 0-1 during the remainder of the contest with Ronan O'Neill slotting the Red Hands' second goal after taking a pass from Stephen O'Neill.

Substitute Michael Murphy helped himself to two late points while Fermanagh's only second-half scores were Conor Quigley and Paul Ward.

Power NI Dr McKenna Cup semi-finals - Sunday

Derry 0-11 0-9 Down

Tyrone 2-12 1-4 Fermanagh

Final, Saturday, January 28, 1930 GMT

Tyrone v Derry