Ulster 3-11 1-15 Munster

Mark Poland tackles Munster's Graham Canty at the Athletic Grounds
Mark Poland tackles Munster's Graham Canty at the Athletic Grounds

Ulster retained the Interprovincial title thanks to Neil McGee's late goal in Sunday's decider at Armagh.

It was an open game which lacked a physical edge and Mark Poland's goal helped Ulster into a 1-7 to 0-9 lead at the end of a tight first half.

The impressive David Tubridy and Paul Kerrigan put Munster ahead but Peter Harte fired home a goal to equalise.

Munster moved in front after Rory Donnelly netted before McGee hit the winning goal four minutes from time.

Tyrone forward Owen Mulligan was a star performer for Ulster and he opened the scoring at the the Athletic Grounds.

Tubridy, who scored eight points in the game, responded for Munster and the Clare man help the visitors take a first-half lead.

Benny Coulter set up fellow Down player Poland for the opening goal just before the break and Ulster led by a point at half-time.

Tubrity was assisted by Kerrigan after the restart as Munster moved clear but Harte's goal, with Coulter again the provider, left the match level.

Donnelly restored Munster's advantage with his shot defected into the net by Donegal's Karl Lacey.

Ulster skipper Darren Hughes fired over two points to keep the hosts in touch and Donegal player McGee had the final say by netting late on.

Ulster team: Brendan McVeigh (Down), Brendan Donaghy (Armagh), Neil McGee (Donegal), Karl Lacey (Donegal), Ciaran McKeever (Armagh), Darren Hughes (Monaghan), James Loughrey (Antrim), Dan Gordon (Down), Rory Kavanagh (Donegal), Peter Harte (Tyrone), Mark Poland (Tyrone), Martin Penrose (Tyrone), Conleith Gilligan (Derry), Benny Coulter (Down), Owen Mulligan (Tyrone). Subs: John Devine (Tyrone), Cathal McCarron (Tyrone), Tomas McCann (Antrim), Vincent Corey (Monaghan), Owen Lennon (Monaghan), Gearoid McKiernan (Cavan), Kieran Hughes (Monaghan), Ronan Flanagan (Cavan), Mark Donnelly (Tyrone), Joe McMahon (Tyrone).

Top Stories