Donegal 2-13 0-9 Derry

Chrissy McKaigue of Derry in action against Donegal's Paddy McGrath
Chrissy McKaigue of Derry in action against Donegal's Paddy McGrath

Holders Donegal will play Tyrone in the semi-finals of the Ulster Championship after a comprehensive demolition job on Derry at Ballybofey.

A goal on the half-hour by Leo McLoone helped Jim McGuinness's men establish a 1-6 to 0-4 interval advantage.

Donegal pressed home their superiority in the second half with a goal blasted in by Colm McFadden in the 44th minute, supplemented by a series of points.

The Donegal v Tyrone semi-final will be played at Clones on 30 June.

That will be repeat of the 2011 final and Donegal will not need to be told they will certainly face a much sterner test than they faced against John Brennan's outclassed Oak Leafers.

Donegal had the edge in a rather dull first half but Derry doggedly managed to stay in touch.

A push on David Walsh presented McFadden with the opportunity to open the scoring with a sixth-minute free.

Colm McFadden celebrates after scoring Donegal's second goal against Derry
Colm McFadden celebrates after scoring Donegal's second goal against Derry

Derry quickly levelled when Mark Lynch landed a fine score from play out on the left.

Donegal edged ahead when a quickly-taken free by Michael Murphy found an unmarked Walsh who registered with ease.

McFadden, who plundered 1-6 in Donegal's preliminary round in over Cavan, converted his second free and Patrick McBrearty then stretched the lead to 0-4 to 0-1.

Derry forward Paddy Bradley split the posts with a couple of frees while Anthony Thompson hoisted a fine point from play for Donegal.

Then came the goal with McLoone sweeping in a first-time left-foot shot after McFadden's surging run into the danger area.

That put Donegal five points ahead and they still had that margin at the interval after Bradley's score from play was cancelled by a Murphy free.

Derry desperately needed a positive response at the start of the second half but instead they were cast adrift as the champions powered towards the semi-finals.

Frank McGlynn scored from play before McFadden's goal effectively booked Donegal's semi-final berth.

When midfielder Michael Friel lost possession, Donegal swept forward and Mark McHugh did well to pick out McFadden who stepped inside a defender to blast into the net.

Derry's response was another Bradley free but scores from play by Murphy and Walsh put Donegal into a 10-point lead, 2-9 to 0-5.

Neil Gallagher and Murphy added to Donegal's tally while Sean Leo McGoldrick and Bradley scored for Derry.

Ryan Bradley scored another Donegal point and they almost got a third goal when Patrick McBrearty's shot came off an upright.

Donegal keeper Paul Durkan pulled off a fine save from Mark Lynch and Eoin Bradley, on as a replacement, scored from the 45.

McBrearty's scored Donegal's final point while Paddy Bradley landed a free for his sixth point of the match.

Donegal scorers: McFadden 1-2, Walsh 0-2, McBrearty 0-2, Thompson 0-1, McLoone 1-0, Murphy 0-3, McGlynn 0-1, Gallagher 0-1, Bradley 0-1

Derry scorers: Lynch 0-1, P Bradley 0-6, SL McGoldrick 0-1, E Bradley 0-1

Top Stories