Superb Antrim see off Westmeath in Championship

Westmeath's Niall O'Brien with Mark McFadden of Antrim

Antrim staged a strong final quarter to secure a convincing 3-18 to 2-13 win over Westmeath in the first game of the Leinster Senior Hurling Championship.

Neil McManus led by example at Cusack Park, top-scoring with 2-4 in a game which saw a player from each side dismissed in the second half.

Antrim's Karl Stewart was shown a straight red card in the 49th minute, after being just introduced as a substitute.

Derek McNicholas of Westmeath followed six minutes later for two yellows.

Antrim's reward is a first round meeting with Laois.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Ryan content with Antrim victory

Despite playing against a stiff wind in the opening half, Antrim took a 0-4 to 0-1 lead after seven minutes with Eddie McCloskey, Neil McManus, Jackson McGreevey and Shane McNaughton on target.

However, Westmeath bounced back with a ninth minute goal from Niall O'Brien.

Antrim worked hard and Neil McManus crashed the ball into the back of the Westmeath net for a 1-4 to 1-1 lead after 11 minutes.

Westmeath responded and, despite being wayward in front of the posts with seven wides by the interval, the hosts edged a 1-6 to 1-5 lead following a Brendan Murtagh score in the 22nd minute.

Brian Hanley's side extended this lead to three points 10 minutes later, with McNicholas and Murtagh on target.

Media playback is not supported on this device

McManus lauds Saffron spirit after win

McManus brought his tally to 1-2 before half-time with a late point, although the Antrim captain was unlucky not to claim the Saffrons' second goal in injury-time, after being denied by Westmeath goalkeeper Peter Collins.

Leading 1-9 to 1-7 at the break, the hosts extended their advantage to four points inside three minutes of the restart.

A 43rd-minute McManus penalty goal brought Antrim back into contention, in a period which saw the visitors score 2-5 without reply until the 57th minute, with Conor Carson scoring Antrim's third goal.

Both sides were reduced to 14 men at this stage, and despite a late Westmeath rally, with a goal from Tommy Doyle, Antrim bagged the final three points to ensure a eight-point win.



Kilkenny 2-17 0-20 Tipperary


New York 0-07 4-19 Leitrim


Down 2-17 3-16 Kerry

Derry 1-11 1-10 Wicklow

Meath 1-20 2-10 Armagh

Kildare 1-23 0-15 Mayo


Tyrone 1-11 0-12 Louth

Roscommon 1-18 0-14 Sligo


Leitrim 0-12 3-13 Fermanagh

Warwickshire 1-15 1-10 Longford

Top Stories