Tyrone beat Fingal to win thrilling Nicky Rackard Cup final

Tyrone's Conor Grogan celebrates winning the Nicky Rackard Cup

Tyrone secured a first Nicky Rackard Cup title after a thrilling one-point victory over Fingal in the final in Croke Park on Saturday.

Christopher Cross scrambled home a Tyrone goal after 24 minutes as the Red Hands led by 1-8 to 0-10 at half time.

Tyrone captain Damien Casey and Gerard Casey hit important scores to stretch the lead to eight points but Dave Smyth pulled back a late goal for Fingal.

Fingal cut the deficit to a point, but Tyrone held on for a famous victory.

The county now face an Ulster derby against Down to determine who plays in the Christy Ring Cup next year.

Damien Casey weighed in with eight points as Tyrone hurlers made a massive breakthrough winning hurling's third tier competition.

Tyrone eased into an early lead with scores from Casey, Gerard Gilmore and Tiernan Morgan.

Morgan then sent in a sideline cut which goalkeeper Hilary Murray Hession failed to hold, and Christopher Cross nipped in to finish to the net.

JM Sheridan hit several points for Fingal but wind-assisted Tyrone were able to pick off points, with Casey and Gilmore hitting the target.

With Stephen Donnelly and Martin Grogan defending heroically, Fingal managed just one point in the third quarter.

When Casey steered over his eighth score of the contest, Mattie Lennon's men led by eight points, but they had to withstand a furious Fingal fight-back.

Substitutes Colm Foley and Danny Butterley both found the target, and Sheridan added to his tally

In stoppage time, they narrowed the gap to a single point when Smyth exploited a defensive error to pull back a goal, but Tyrone held on.

Meanwhile, Fermanagh's first appearance in the Lory Meagher Cup final ended in a two-point defeat by Longford in Croke Park.

Declan McGarry scored a hat-trick for the Erne county with Sean Corrigan hitting ten points in the 3-18 to 3-16 reversal on Saturday.

Fermanagh led by four points at half time, holding a 2-8 to 0-10 advantage.

Erne defender Daniel Teague received a straight red card after 50 minutes with Joe O'Brien grabbing two goals for Longford in the second half.

Eoin Donnellan was the top scorer, finishing the game with a haul of 1-9 for Longford.

Tyrone: J Devlin, C McNally (0-1), R Devlin, M O'Gorman, M Grogan, S Donnelly, A Kelly, M Winters (0-1), G Fox, C Grogan (0-1), T Morgan (0-1), C Cross (1-0), M Mulgrew (0-1), D Casey (0-8, 4f), G Gilmore (0-4)

Subs: M Devlin for Winters, M Devlin for Winters, D Marshall for Gilmore

Fingal: H Murray Hession, P Coyne, N Ring, A Morris, B Kelly, D Vaughan, I Kennedy, D Hattie, P Sheridan, D Kelly (0-1), A Richardson, P Daly, C O'Flynn, S Smyth (1-2), JM Sheridan (0-10, 6f, 2 '65)

Subs: D Buttlery (0-1) for Richardson, C Foley (0-1) for Kelly, C Foley for D Kelly

Referee: D O'Driscoll (Limerick)

Top Stories