Football League Division Two: Fermanagh 0-10 0-6 Meath

Meath's Padraic Harnan attempts to get a block in as Fermanagh forward Barry Mulrone takes a shot
Meath's Padraic Harnan attempts to get a block in as Fermanagh forward Barry Mulrone takes a shot

Fermanagh kicked five points in a row in the second half to win a dogged Division Two match against 14-man Meath in Brewster Park on Sunday.

Pete McGrath's men were 0-5 to 0-3 ahead at half time with Andrew Tormey sent-off after 23 minutes.

Three points in a row from the Royals left the home side trailing.

Tomas Corrigan then scored 0-4 from frees and Barry Mulrone chipped over the last point to give Fermanagh a first league win of the campaign.

Tight opening at Brewster

The sides were level three times in the opening 20 minutes, Eoin Donnelly's booming 55m metre point after 10 seconds setting the tone for a fully committed Fermanagh display.

Meath replied with Mickey Newman and Sean Tobin frees before Aidan Breen blazed over at the end of a well-constructed Fermanagh move to put them level again 15 minutes in.

Cillian O'Sullivan, fit again after almost two years out through injury, landed a superb sideline kick for the Royals in the 20th minute but that was their last score of the half.

The visitors were rocked by the dismissal of midfielder Tormey for a yellow card followed by a black, for blocking the run of a Fermanagh attacker.

The home side scored three unanswered points before the interval, Sean Quigley with all of them.

He scored a tricky free followed by a '45' though then missed two easier kicks.

Although Fermanagh were to slow to get direct ball into him, Quigley made the best of the scraps he got and won a high ball, turned quickly and pointed to send the Ernemen into the dressing-room 0-5 to 0-3 ahead.

Fermanagh showed little ambition to push more men forward despite their numerical advantage and Meath, with the wind in the second half, scored three points in a row to go 0-6 to 0-5 ahead after 50 minutes.

Sean Tobin's free proved to be their last score, with Fermanagh carrying the ball well and picking off some well-worked scores in the final quarter.

With Quigley struggling from frees, kicking four dead balls wides, Corrigan took over the duties and nailed four.

Mulrone added the final point in the 70th minute to give Fermanagh an important league victory.

Fermanagh: C Snow; M Jones, C Cullen, N Cassidy; P Rehill, J McMahon, A Breen (0-1); E Donnelly (0-1), D Kelly; B Mulrone (0-1), C Flaherty, R Hanna; R Corrigan, S Quigley (0-3, 1f, 1 '45'), T Corrigan (0-4, 4f)

Subs: P McGovern for Rehill (43), R Jones for Hanna (43). K Connor for Kelly (58), E McHugh for Breen (70)

Meath: P O'Rourke; D Keogan, C McGill, M Burke; B Power, P Harnan, C Finn; H Rooney, A Tormey; G Reilly, C O'Sullivan (0-1), J McEntee; S Tobin (0-3, 2f, 1 '45'), M Newman (0-1, f), D Lenihan (0-1)

Subs: E Wallace for Lenihan (45), D Smyth for McEntee (57), A Douglas for Finn (63), B O'Brien for Tobin (68), R O Coilleann for Reilly (69)

Referee: Sean Hurson (Tyrone)



Division 1

Mayo 0-07 0-09 Dublin

Division 2

Armagh 0-15 1-13 Laois

Cavan 1-11 1-12 Derry

Division 4

London 1-11 4-04 Carlow


Division 1

Donegal 2-14 1-07 Cork

Kerry 1-10 0-14 Roscommon

Monaghan 0-13 0-11 Down

Division 2

Fermanagh 0-10 0-06 Meath

Galway 1-09 1-11 Tyrone

Division 3

Kildare 1-12 1-08 Offaly

Longford 0-13 1-08 Limerick

Sligo 1-11 1-10 Westmeath

Tipperary 2-07 1-07 Clare

Division 4

Antrim 1-08 0-07 Wexford

Leitrim 1-06 0-10 Wicklow, Carrick-on-Shannon

Waterford 1-09 1-10 Louth

Top Stories