Football League: Kerry beat Dublin 0-20 to 1-16 in Division One decider

Kevin McCarthy and Bernard Brogan
Kevin McCarthy of Kerry and Dublin's Bernard Brogan contend for possession at Croke Park

Kerry ended Dublin's 36-match unbeaten run to secure the Football League Division One title with a narrow 0-20 to 1-19 triumph at Croke Park.

The Kingdom trailed 0-10 to 0-09 at half-time but fought back to come out on top in a closely-fought encounter.

Galway claimed their first win at Croker since 2001 to see off Kildare in Sunday's Division Two decider.

On Saturday, Tipperary beat Louth in the Division Three final and Westmeath defeated Wexford in Division Four.

Liam Casey scored Tipp's opening goal and Conor Sweeney got the other two as their side emerged convincing 3-10 to 0-19 victors.

Westmeath were crowned Division Four champions after an emphatic 2-24 to 2-11 success over Wexford.

Westmeath's goals came from a Ger Egan penalty and Shane Dempsey while Kevin O'Grady and Donal Shanley netted for Seamus McEnaney's Wexford.

Galway were level with Kildare at 0-6 apiece at half-time in the first of Sunday's finals, but the Connacht champions pushed on to triumph.

Kerry win Division One thriller

In a keenly-contested Division One final, a second-half purple patch saw Kerry open up a four-point lead, but a Paul Mannion goal for the Duns left just a point between the sides with 10 minutes to go.

It was nip and tuck from there, before a David Moran point helped Kerry open up a three point lead approaching injury time.

Two Dublin scores after the 70 minutes had elapsed reduced the deficit to the minimum before Bryan Sheehan made it a two-point game again.

There was still time for Mannion to add another score for Dublin before Moran was black carded for a foul just outside his own '45 that gave Dean Rock a chance to level matters once more.

However, the Ballymun man's effort hit the post and Kerry held on to take the title on a scoreline of 0-20 to 1-16.

Top Stories