All-Ireland SFC quarter-final: Down 2-9 3-18 Mayo

Darren O'Hagan and Andy Moran
Darren O'Hagan and Andy Moran

Down crashed out of the All-Ireland Football Championship after suffering a crushing 12-point defeat at the hands of a dominant Mayo side at Croke Park.

Goals from Jason Doherty and Michael Conroy to one by Kalum King helped Mayo to a 2-7 to 1-4 half-time lead.

Conroy scored his second goal of the game early in the second half and Mayo continued to post regular scores to pile further misery on the Mournemen.

Benny Coulter scored a late goal but by then the outcome was inevitable.

It was a humiliating defeat for the Ulster side, who were inferior to their opponents in every aspect of the play.

Down squandered an early goal chance when Conor Laverty saw his shot saved by David Clarke.

The Mournemen were made to pay for their profligacy when Doherty completed an excellent move by firing the ball left-footed into the net in the fifth minute.

Andy Moran added a point, before Aidan Carr got Down off the mark with a free.

Cillian O'Connor replied with a free and then Conor Garvey blocked Moran's goalbound effort as Mayo continued to dominate the early exchanges.

Carr knocked over his first point from open play and then James McCartan's side levelled with a 16th-minute goal.

Coulter and Laverty played their part in the build-up and King completed the move by firing into the net.

Alan Dillon nudged Mayo ahead again, but Carr restored parity with his third point of the game.

O'Connor hit the woodwork soon after but Conroy picked up the rebound to score a point.

A Carr free brought the teams level again, but O'Connor replied with a free for the Connacht champions.

Conroy impressively slotted home a right-foot shot past Brendan McVeigh in the 27th minute for the third goal of an entertaining game.

O'Connor knocked over two more frees to increase his side's advantage to six points at the interval.

O'Connor continued his prolific form by scoring two points early in the second half, while substitute Liam Doyle scored a free for Down and Coulter also got his name on the scoresheet.

Conroy grabbed his second goal of the match in the 43rd minute to effectively end the tie as a contest by palming the ball into the net after Mayo took a quick free.

Carr scored two more frees, but points from Dillon (3), Lee Keegan, Aidan O'Shea, O'Connor, Enda Varley and Kevin McLaughlin (2) increased the lead and kept their side in control.

Coulter's late goal in added time was scant consolation for the defeated Ulster Championship finalists.

Down: B McVeigh; D O'Hagan, D Gordon, C Garvey, N McParland, K McKernan, B McArdle, A Rogers, K King, A Carr, M Poland, C Maginn, B Coulter, C Laverty, E McCartan.

Mayo: D Clarke; K Keane, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; B Moran, D Geraghty; K McLoughlin, C O'Connor, A Dillon; E Varley, A Moran, J Doherty.

Top Stories