Olympics football: GB women suffer quarter-final exit

By Paul FletcherBBC Sport at City of Coventry Stadium

Great Britain's hopes of a medal in the women's football tournament are over after they were defeated 2-0 by Canada in the quarter-finals at Coventry.

Jonelle Filigno scored direct from a corner and Christine Sinclair added a second to put Canada in control.

GB had strong appeals for a penalty turned down as they desperately tried to force their way back into the tie, but their opponents were too strong.

Canada will now play the United States in Manchester on Monday.

Hope Powell's side were the first GB team in action at the 2012 Games, defeating New Zealand two days before the opening ceremony.

They won their group without conceding a goal and enjoyed a memorable 1-0 win over Brazil in front of more than 70,000 at Wembley.

The profile of the women's game in Great Britain arguably reached new levels as a result of GB's exploits and it could yet prove to be a defining tournament for the sport on these shores.

But Powell's team can have no complaints about their failure to reach the last four - and thus guarantee themselves a shot at a medal - after they were outplayed by John Herdman's Canadian side.

Canada went for it straight from the opening whistle, showing a determination, power and athleticism that their opponents could not match.

The attacking trio of Filigno, Sinclair and Melissa Tancredi were willing to drop deep to pick up the ball and then attack with real purpose.

Filigno's opening goal after 11 minutes was superb, smashing a first-time strike into the top of the net after the ball eluded the desperate lunge of Sophie Bradley.

GB, encouraged by the sizeable crowd of 28,828 inside the City of Coventry Stadium, tried to force their way into the game.

Jill Scott saw a long-range strike saved, Kim Little had a penalty appeal turned down after a mazy run in the box and Karen Carney went close with a header at the far post.

But Canada strengthened their grip on the contest when Sinclair scored her 140th goal for Canada, bending the ball around the edge of the GB wall and into the bottom corner after Little had been harshly adjudged to have fouled Desiree Scott.

It was a much more even contest after the restart but GB continued to give the ball away far too cheaply and squandered too many of the precious few promising positions they created.

Ellen White, who started in place of the injured Kelly Smith, was withdrawn shortly after the hour mark but it did not make any significant difference as GB struggled to break down their opponents.

Rhian Wilkinson appeared to trip Eniola Aluko with 10 minutes remaining but GB's penalty appeals went unanswered, much to the crowd's frustration.

There was then an almighty scramble in the Canada six-yard box but nobody could make the decisive touch for GB and Erin McLeod eventually gathered the ball to cap a frustrating night for the home side.

Top Stories