Irish boxer Michael O'Reilly leaves Olympic Village in Rio after failed drugs test
Irish boxer Michael O'Reilly has left the Olympic Village in Rio following the failed drugs test which led to his removal from the Games.
In a statement on Tuesday, Laois man O'Reilly said he unintentionally took a supplement that may have contained a banned substance.
O'Reilly, 23, has opted not to contest the initial suspension imposed on him.
"Michael has now left the Olympic Village," said an Irish Athletic Boxing Association statement.
"He will have no further involvement in the Rio Olympic Games. The Olympic Council of Ireland will be making arrangements for him to return to Ireland as soon as possible."
Irish boxing statement criticises O'Reilly
The IABA statement criticised last year's European Games gold medallist for taking a supplement without consulting its medical staff.
"Educating athletes of the risks proposed by supplements is provided to all our boxers as part of the high performance programme.
"The IABA is fully committed to the Irish anti-doping rules. Michael's adverse test result initiated a process as set out in those rules.
"This process remains underway and until it is completed we are not in a position to comment further."
In his statement handed to Irish broadcaster RTE, O'Reilly said that he was given the unnamed supplement "by someone unrelated to his team or association".
The middleweight was tested before travelling to Brazil and said he disclosed at the time that he had taken the substance.
The statement also said O'Reilly apologised to his fellow boxers, team-mates, the Irish Athletic Boxing Association, Sport Ireland, the Olympic Council of Ireland and "all those who have supported" him.
O'Reilly doping violation leaves him facing a ban of up to four years while a suspension would see him losing his annual state grant which currently is just over £34,000.
Subscribe to the BBC Sport newsletter to get our pick of news, features and video sent to your inbox.