Salford City Reds 16-32 Hull FC

Super League

Hull secured their sixth victory of the season with a 32-16 success at Salford.

The visitors were given a great start when Kirk Yeaman, Martin Gleeson and Tom Briscoe all ran in tries inside the first 10 minutes.

They had a 14-point half-time lead as Lee Radford went over, sandwiched between tries for Salford's Adam Clay and Ashley Gibson.

Stefan Ratchford's try closed the hosts' deficit, but Will Sharp and Gleeson's second made sure of victory.

Salford went into the game on the back of scoring 102 points in successive wins over Harlequins and part-timers Hunslet in the Challenge Cup.

But it was Hull who made a terrific start, going 12-0 ahead after only four minutes thanks to tries from Yeaman and Gleeson, followed five minutes later by Briscoe going over in the corner.

All three were converted by Danny Tickle to the delight of Hull's vociferous following.

The hosts' first try arrived in the 16th minute as Clay latched onto Daniel Holdsworth's kick for his fifth try in only three games since making his debut.

Luke Patten's dropped ball enabled Radford to charge over near the posts for Hull's fourth try but, a minute before the break, Holdsworth set up Gibson to close the gap to 24-10 at the interval.

Six minutes after the break, smart work from Patten saw Ratchford go over with a fantastic solo effort, Holdsworth added the goal to bring the deficit to eight.

Sharp's try in the corner calmed any Hull nerves and Gleeson, the Black and Whites' recent capture following his exit from Wigan, also went over in the corner for his second of the night to complete the scoring.


Salford caretaker coach Phil Veivers:

"The first 10 minutes absolutely killed us. You can't give any Super League side an 18-point start and expect to claw it back.

"We didn't see the ball in those 10 minutes and you need an even share of the ball. Conceding those three tries put us under the cosh.

"There have been some improvements over the last few weeks but the old habits were back and I am very alarmed at the ease in which Hull scored some of their tries."

Hull boss Richard Agar:

"It took us three hours to get here but we started really well and in the right vein.

"We lost Kirk Yeaman with concussion and double vision and Sam Obst with a side strain and we knew, if Salford got across the halfway line, they are a talented team.

"We defended very well but a turning point could have been when we led just before half-time and were attacking when Cameron Phelps kicked the ball dead."


Salford: Patten; Broughton, Ratchford, Gibson, Clay; Smith, Holdsworth; Cashmere, Godwin, Paleaaesina, Anderson, Nero, Wild.

Replacements: Jewitt, L Adamson, Boyle, Neal.

Hull: Phelps, Whiting, Gleeson, Yeaman, T Briscoe, Horne, Obst, O'Meley, Houghton, Moa, Manu, Tickle, Fitzgibbon.

Replacements: Sharp, Radford, Westerman, Dowes.

Attendance: 3,983

Referee: Ben Thaler (Wakefield).

Top Stories