Wales 30-6 Ireland

Wales: (14) 30
Tries: Gay, Roets, Frizell, Lennon, Kear, J James Goals: Webster 3
Ireland: (0) 6
Try: Bergin Goal: Finn
Iestyn Harris
Iestyn Harris took over of Wales rugby league coach from John Dixon in 2009

Wales warmed up for the forthcoming Four Nations tournament with a convincing win over Ireland at the Gnoll, Neath.

Iestyn Harris's side out-scored the visitors six tries to one.

Andrew Gay, Christiaan Roets, Tyson Frizell, Mark Lennon, Elliott Kear and Jordan James scored Wales' tries with Ian Webster kicking three goals

Ireland's consolation score fell to Tim Bergin, with Liam Finn adding the extra points.

The home side took the lead in under two minutes when Lloyd White fed Andrew Gay to go over, but Wales were then forced to bide their time as Ireland held firm.

Gay was close to a second try while Frizell was held up over the line, Gil Dudson had a score marked off for a knock-on and then the ball slipped out of Andy Bracek's hands as he was looking for a run at goal.

Ireland had a couple of chances, the best coming on the 20-minute mark when Finn kicked a 40-20 to win Ireland a scrum, but from the first play the ball was lost.

Wales carried on attacking and Rhys Williams ran 70 metres after picking up a loose ball and won a penalty, but Wales couldn't take advantage as the ball was knocked on.

Soon after that Kear and Webster both failed to latch on to White's bomb in the corner while a James slip pass went astray.

Roets finally extended the lead on 27 minutes when he finished a fine passing move in the left corner, the second South Wales Scorpions player to ground. Webster converted.

From kick-off Frizell scored Wales' third try as he barged through the Irish defence to ground left of the sticks, although this time Webster's conversion was just wide.

Two minutes into the second half and Wales scored their fourth try through a 40-metre run from Lennon. Webster converted.

Again from the kick-off Kear broke through the defence and sprinted to score in the corner for an unconverted try.

Wales continued to dominate and forced two quick goal-line drop-outs, the latter leading to their next try.

From the next set James forced his way under the sticks and Webster's simple kick made the score 30-0.

Geraint Davies forced the fourth goal-line drop-out of the half as Wales looked to extended their lead further, but it was Ireland who had the final say as they broke through on 77 minutes.

Tyrone McCarthy broke and set up Bergin to go over in the corner and Finn kicked the tricky conversion.

Wales: Gay, Kear, Webster, Roets, R Williams, White, Watson, J James, Budworth, Dudson, Frizell, Bracek, Lupton.

Replacements: Seamark, Flower, Kopczak, D Jones, Lennon, G Davies, L Williams, Divorty.

Ireland: McNally, Bergin, Cross, Cosgrove, Taylor, Smith, Finn, Boyle, Beswick, Ambler, McCarthy, Corcoran, Casey.

Replacements: Carmody, Barcoe, Mcgarr, McCloskey, Mulhern, McGrory.

Att: 2,265

Ref: Thierry Alibert (France).