Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 10-22 Hull KR

Hull KR held off a determined Wakefield to claim their first Super League win of the new season.

Mickey Paea's early converted try gave Rovers the lead, but Wakefield hit back through Ben Cockayne.

Constantine Mika extended the visitors' lead but again the Wildcats fought back with a try from Andy Raleigh to trail 12-10 at the interval.

The home side piled on the pressure but tries from Josh Hodgson and Rhys Lovegrove won it for the Robins.

However, the first win of Craig Sandercock's Hull KR reign may have come at a price as scrum-half Michael Dobson sat out the majority of the game with a shoulder injury.

The pitch was only declared playable four hours before kick-off but, when the game got underway, Rovers grabbed the lead when Paea bundled his way over for his first try in the English game, Dobson adding the extras.

Wakefield replied when Isaac John slipped through a gap and Richie Mathers' pass put Cockayne in at the corner against his former club.

John missed the conversion, allowing Rovers to extend their lead to eight points when Mika dived over after Jake Webster claimed Dobson's chip kick.

That was Dobson's last action, and he soon saw his side pegged back as Tim Smith cut Rovers open and Raleigh cruised in, John this time converting.

Wakefield failed to make the most of Scott Taylor being sin-binned early in the second half and they were made to pay when first Hodgson charged through their line and then Lovegrove forced his way over.


Wakefield coach Richard Agar:

"It was a game played in difficult conditions and we knew it would be a game of few chances.

"The boys are dejected and we will look upon the sin-bin period as crucial. I thought that period was vital for us because we got too excited and forced the ball early in the count.

"When they were down to 12 in these conditions, we knew they wouldn't want to be on their try line, but we forced possession and will look at that as one we could have handled a bit smarter."

Hull KR coach Craig Sandercock:

"It was a courageous and gutsy win and the amount of defence we did on our own line in the second half was unbelievable.

"When you lose your captain and playmaker halfway through the first half, it's always going to be a tough day at the office, but the lads defended their line with pride."


Wakefield: Mathers; Fox, Collis, Mellars, Cockayne; John, Smith; Wilkes, Aiton, Southern, Kirmond, Lauitiiti, Washbrook.

Replacements: Wood, Raleigh, Johnson, Mariano.

Hull KR: McDonnell; Hall, Welham, Webster, D Hodgson; Murrell, Dobson; Clinton, Withers, Paea, Horne, Mika, Lovegrove.

Replacements: J Hodgson, Cox, Taylor, Wheeldon.

Attendance: 8,612.

Referee: Robert Hicks (Oldham).