Salford 10-18 Hull KR

Scott Taylor
Scott Taylor

Two second-half tries by young forward Scott Taylor saw Hull Kingston Rovers secure a valuable away win against the Salford City Reds.

The Reds took an early lead, Australian full-back Luke Patten scything down the wing to cross from 50 yards out.

Concerted pressure then saw Rovers' Lincoln Withers touch down Michael Dobson's grubber kick.

Ashley Gibson put Salford ahead in the second half, but a brace from Taylor secured victory for the visitors.

Salford took the lead after Patten dummied his way past Sam Latus after 12 minutes for his sixth try of the season.

Neither side could take control of an evenly-fought contest, but Dobson's probing kicks were causing Salford problems, and his grubber was pounced on by Lincoln Withers under the posts to put Rovers side ahead before the break.

The greasy conditions made handling difficult and Salford missed a chance to go back in front when Gibson spilled a pass, but 12 minutes from time Gibson took a long Matty Ashurst pass to go over after neat work by Patten and Joel Moon in the build-up.

Rovers were soon back in front when Taylor powered over and Dobson added the straightforward goal, and they clinched the win when Taylor repeated the dose in the 78th minute and Dobson again converted.

After the match Salford forward Vinnie Anderson was taken to hospital with a suspected fractured elbow.


Salford coach Phil Veivers:

"The conditions had a lot to do with the mistakes but we are filthy with ourselves because we led 10-6 until 12 minutes from time.

"We came up with two missed tackles through the centre of the ruck and they were soft tries although there was a harsh call towards the death.

"The game was there for us to win and we should have won but conceded two soft tries."

Hull KR coach Craig Sandercock:

"It was a badly-needed victory. Every win is like gold because we are not in the top eight.

"We defended well and were rewarded for our hard work. Both sides were guilty of pushing passes and it was a pretty scrappy game.

"Scott had an outstanding second half but in the first half was a little down on what I expected. Then he made his presence felt and came up with two big plays which won us the game."


Salford: Patten; Gibson, Moon, Gleeson, Williams; Holdsworth, Smith; McPherson, Godwin, Feka, Ashurst, Neal, Wild.

Replacements: Howarth, Anderson, James, Jewitt

Hull KR: McDonnell; Hall, Welham, Horne, Latus; Murrell, Dobson; Paea, Withers, Taylor, Mika, Galea, Cox

Replacements: Clinton, Watts, Carlile, Peterson.

Attendance: 5,000.

Referee: Tim Roby.