Wigan Warriors 48-10 Hull FC

Wigan Warriors full-back Sam Tomkins

Sam Tomkins triggered Super League leaders Wigan's stunning nine-try hammering of Hull FC at the DW Stadium.

Tomkins's second-minute score paved the way for the Warriors' second big win over injury-hit Hull this season.

Josh Charnley ran in a hat-trick, as well as kicking six goals, with tries too for Gareth Hock, Liam Farrell, Michael McIlorum and Sam Powell.

Hull scored a try in each half through Tom Lineham and Brett Seymour, on-loan Jamie Foster adding the two points.

Wigan, who had 20-year-old home-grown stand-off Powell deputising for injured Australian playmaker Brett Finch, were boosted by the surprise return of skipper Sean O'Loughlin against opponents lacking eight regulars through injury.

Hull were especially badly hit by the late withdrawals of Jordan Turner and Danny Houghton, which meant a recall for Australian scrum-half Seymour.

They also lost England centre Kirk Yeaman midway through the first half after he went over on his ankle, while forwards Jay Pitts (collarbone) and Liam Watts (knee) also failed to finish the game.

While young Powell made a try-scoring debut, full-back Tomkins was the star man with a well-deserved brace as Wigan moved a step closer to a second league leaders' shield in three seasons.

Tomkins's tries brought him the eight points he needed to bring up 500 for the club but his all-round contribution was much more significant as he teased and tormented the Hull defence all night.

With just four games left, Wigan are now five points clear of Warrington, who face a tricky derby at St Helens on Monday night.

But they still have to face both Warrington, at the Halliwell Jones on Sunday week, and Saints, twice their play-off destroyers last year, in their final four games.

Wigan enjoyed their biggest Super League win of the season when they ran in nine tries to hammer Hull 56-12 on home soil at the KC Stadium back in April, prolific 2010 scoring machine Pat Richards helping himself to 26 points.

With Richards still out injured, goal-kicking winger Charnley has taken over his duties from the tee. And he almost matched him, his 24-point haul helping him take over as Super League's leading marksman this season.

Apart from his treble, taking his season's try tally to 30 in 22 appearances, the prolific Charnley's six goals took him past Catalan Dragons' Scott Dureau at the top of the scoring charts.


Wigan coach Shaun Wane:

"There were times when we could have attacked a bit better and our defence was a bit sloppy in the first half but overall I'm very happy.

"We were without both our halves but credit must go to John Winder, our head of youth, because we had 14 there who have come through the ranks. That's what made the victory more special for me.

"It was really pleasing to see Sam Powell coming back from a broken leg and playing the way he did. He's a really good kid and works hard at his game. We've some great kids in Wigan and he's a good example."

Hull coach Peter Gentle:

"We started our last training session with 19 men and finished with 16. And we had guys playing tonight that shouldn't have played.

"It was a tough night. The guys were out on their feet. They showed courage in bucket-loads - no one waved the white flag. But it was our third game in 12 days and it was probably one game too far.

"We had quite a bit of disruption but we didn't help our cause with our completion rate. All but one of their tries came off our errors or penalties and we've got to be better than that. We need to tidy our execution up."


Wigan: S Tomkins; Charnley, Hughes, Carmont, Thornley; Smith, Powell; Lauaki, McIlorum, Mossop, Hansen, Hock, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: Lima, Farrell, Tuson, Crosby.

Hull: T Briscoe; Foster, Whiting, Yeaman, Lineham; McGoldrick, Seymour; Watts, Heremaia, Lynch, Manu, Westerman, Aspinwall.

Replacements: O'Meley, Pitts, Green, Nicklas.

Attendance: 17,736.

Referee: James Child (Dewsbury).

Top Stories