Super League: Salford 4-46 Warrington

Richie Myler

Richie Myler registered his 100th career try as Warrington returned to winning ways with a convincing win.

Tries from Ryan Atkins, a Chris Riley double and an individual effort from Myler saw the Wolves surge clear.

Gareth Owen's 55-metre try finally got Salford on the board in the second half, but Myler laid on further scores for Joel Monaghan and Brett Hodgson.

And he followed Atkins' second try with a second of his own against his old club as Wire finished with a flourish.

It did not take long for the visitors to stamp their authority on proceedings, Atkins forcing his way through a gap on the left for the game's opening score following a penalty for offside.

Riley then latched on to a clever grubber kick from the influential Myler, before extending his side's advantage with a fine individual score.

Ex-Salford half-back Myler picked up a try of his own shortly before half-time, dropping his shoulder before surging past a flat-footed Salford defence.

Things got worse for the home team immediately after the interval when Myler kicked to the right and provided Joel Monaghan with the simplest of finishes.

Owen raced more than half the length of the pitch for a breakaway try that at least got the hosts on the scoresheet.

But Warrington quickly reasserted their dominance when Myler found another gap and put Hodgson in under the posts.

Atkins then dummied over for his second score before Myler picked a lovely line to complete the rout.


Warrington head coach Tony Smith:

"I don't think we attacked very well. I thought we were very patchy, particularly in the second half, although we did some good things in amongst it.

"We lacked a bit of control, but defensively [we were] outstanding and that's really what we wanted. We've been critical of ourselves in recent times with some of the points we've conceded.

"To only concede an intercept try tells you a little bit about your defence. I think we applied ourselves a whole lot better."

Salford interim coach Alan Hunte:

"In the first half I actually thought we competed defensively on the majority of our sets barring four, but Warrington showed how clinical they can be and made every one of those four sets pay.

"We've just got to learn to be smarter and more patient. It's not been the greatest six months and the guys seem to be carrying that anxiety.

"They have got to start enjoying rugby. We just look nervous when we've got the ball."


Salford: Ashurst; Boyle, Dixon, Jewitt, Sneyd; Broughton, Gibson; Gleeson, Murphy, Godwin, Griffin, Foran, Fages.

Replacements: Mauro, James, Neal, Owen.

Warrington: Grix; Cooper, Westwood, Wood, Hodgson; Riley, Bridge; Atkins, J Monaghan, M Monaghan, Hill, Myler, Ratchford.

Replacements: Carvell, Higham, O'Brien, Currie.

Attendance: 3,932

Referee: Steve Ganson (St Helens).

Top Stories