St Helens 52-18 Wakefield

Jonny Lomax

Full-back Jonny Lomax's hat-trick helped St Helens register their first home win of the 2013 campaign.

First-half tries from Alex Walmsley and Lomax, and a Jordan Turner double, gave Saints a 22-12 lead at the break.

Scores from Richie Mathers and Ben Cockayne kept Wakefield in touch.

Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook put Saints further ahead, but Dean Collis replied before two more Lomax efforts and tries by Tommy Makinson and Lance Hohaia took the home side's score past 50.

Lomax also kicked eight of his nine attempts at goal for a 28-point individual haul.

Wakefield took an early lead when Reece Lyne's pace helped him break clear down the right.

The young winger fed the ball inside to Paul Sykes who put Mathers over, but Saints struck back immediately.

After Lomax was brought down short, Wakefield were still trying to reorganise in defence when Jon Wilkin put prop Walmsley in under the posts, then Lomax ended a brilliant solo run by touching down himself.

Wakefield replied when Cockayne won the race to touch down a grubber kick, Sykes kicking the goal to level the scores.

But Saints went back ahead when Wakefield failed to deal with James Roby's kick into the in-goal area, Turner taking advantage of the defensive confusion to ground the ball.

Former Hull player Turner then made it a double following good work by Francis Meli, giving Saints a cushion at half-time.

Wilkin's inside pass gave replacement forward McCarthy-Scarsbrook the chance to further stretch Saints' lead after the break.

Wakefield refused to be beaten though and, after a long spell of pressure, Australian centre Collis crossed for the visitors.

But Lomax's second, with Wilkin again involved in the creation, eased the home team's nerves, and the game's outstanding player then had the strength to get the ball down after receiving Willie Manu's pass.

Lomax was also involved in setting up a try for winger Makinson before hooker Hohaia took the score past 50.


St Helens coach Nathan Brown:

"Jonny Lomax is doing very well and is only going to keep improving. He has got all the attributes to play full-back very well.

"It's been a slow start at home, but it's great to get the monkey off the back. Hopefully now we can go on and give the fans plenty more to cheer about.

"I wasn't too worried when it wasn't looking great earlier this season. I had to make some adjustments to how we play and that takes a bit of time.

"I knew the guys would slowly adapt and we have got a lot of improvement in us."

Wakefield coach Richard Agar:

"I was really pleased. That probably sounds odd for a coach whose charges have let in 50 points but our effort, spirit and commitment were tremendous.

"The scoreline blew out in the last 15-20 minutes and a lot of class from the other team told at the end of the day.

"But, with a depleted side, every one of our players can look themselves in the eye and say they have given their all.

"Lomax was a handful. He hits the ball at speed, he really challenges that edge and the fact he can pass as well as he does puts defenders in a lot of doubt. He is very strong as well."


St Helens: Soliola; Turner, Makinson, Jones, Walker; Walmsley, Lomax; Laffranchi, Hohaia, Manu, Wilkin, Meli, Roby.

Replacements: McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Flanagan, Clough, Hand.

Wakefield: Mellors; Mariano, Amor, Washbrook, Mathers; Fox, Collis; Lyne, Cockayne, Aiton, Wilkes, Wood, Sykes.

Replacements: Trout, Smith, Wildie, Annakin.

Attendance: 12,105.

Referee: Robert Hicks (Oldham).

Top Stories