Super League: Widnes Vikings 22-36 Huddersfield Giants

Danny Brough

Widnes Vikings (6) 22

Flynn, Marsh 2, White
Owens 3

Huddersfield Giants (30) 36

Ferres 2, Brough, Patrick 2, Murphy
Brough 5, Grix

Huddersfield moved to within a point of Super League leaders Wigan after beating Widnes at the Stobart Stadium.

The Vikings had no answer as the Giants dominated the first period, with Brett Ferres, Danny Brough, Larne Patrick (2) and Aaron Murphy all crossing.

Widnes responded through Paddy Flynn, Stefan Marsh (2) and Lloyd White, but a second from Ferres made it safe.

Skipper Brough also kicked five goals for Huddersfield, who continue their impressive start to the campaign.

Wigan will stretch their lead over Paul Anderson's men back to three points if they beat London Broncos on Saturday.

The damage was done in the first 40 minutes as the influential Brough, one of the stand-out performers in Super League so far this season, put the Giants on course for a first win at Widnes since 2004.

He created the opening try for Ferres, who was lining up at centre in place of the suspended Joe Wardle, and later produced a piece of individual brilliance to score himself.

Flynn crossed unopposed prior to Brough's effort to level at 6-6, but the Giants took charge with three more tries before the break.

Half-backs Brough and Luke Robinson combined for Patrick's first, before Murphy touched down in the corner and Patrick burst over again from close range.

A 30-6 half-time deficit was harsh on the Vikings, who were without suspended second-rower Gareth Hock, and they fought back well in the second period - helped by Brough's failure to reappear after the break because of injury.

Marsh and White went over in quick succession to keep the game alive, but Ferres snuffed out any chance of an unlikely Widnes comeback by adding his second and Huddersfield's sixth try of the evening, before Marsh's second gave some respectability to the scoreline.


Widnes Vikings head coach Denis Betts:

"We started well but they stepped up the pace, started winning the ruck and to be honest they dominated the first half. We got caught in the headlights and they physically dominated us.

"We had a chat at half time and we had more venom in us after that. I was pleased with the response the lads gave in the second half.

"There are some disappointed players in the dressing room as they feel they have let it slip. It was a good game as we came back at them but we left ourselves too much to do."

Huddersfield Giants assistant coach Kieron Purtill:

"Danny is fine. He is a key player for us and we have to look after them. We did the job in the first half and took the decision to bring him off. You can get a few tight calves on this pitch so we just brought him off.

"I'm happy with the win as to back up from last week against Leeds was pleasing.

"Everyone is going on about Giants teams from years gone by but we want to create our own story and build day by day.

"We are really happy with what we have done. It was scrappy at times but we got the job done."


Widnes Vikings: Craven; Flynn, Marsh, Phelps, Owens; Brown, Mellor; Pickersgill, Clarke, O'Carroll, Dean, Winterstein, Allen.

Replacements: Joseph, Kavanagh, Lawton, White.

Huddersfield Giants: Grix; McGillvary, Cudjoe, Ferres, Murphy; Brough, Robinson; Crabtree, Lunt, Kopczak, Ta'ai, Chan, Ferguson.

Replacements: Faiumu, Patrick, Cording, Dwyer.

Referee: Robert Hicks (RFL).

Attendance: 5,173.

Top Stories