Super League: Warrington Wolves 26-14 Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

Joel Monaghan

Warrington Wolves (14) 26

J. Monaghan 2, Hodgson, Higham, Bridge, Riley

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (8) 14

Mariano, Kirmond, Kay
L. Smith

Warrington moved up to second in Super League and kept the pressure on leaders Huddersfield with a win over Wakefield.

Joel Monaghan, Brett Hodgson and Micky Higham put the Wire 14-8 up at half-time, Frankie Mariano and Danny Kirmond replying for Wakefield.

Liam Kay's interception try for the Wildcats was academic as further tries from Monaghan, Chris Bridge and Chris Riley eased the Wolves to victory.

Tony Smith's side are a point behind the Giants with three matches to play.

Huddersfield remain favourites to lift the League Leaders' Shield after who were previously second, on Friday.

The Giants have the most favourable run-in of the three challengers for top spot, as they do not have to face another team currently in the play-off positions.

Warrington face trips to a rejuvenated St Helens and Catalan Dragons in the final two weeks of the regular season, while Wigan must go to France themselves and also take on reigning champions Leeds Rhinos in their final game.

Meanwhile, Wakefield's hopes of sneaking into the top eight suffered another blow. They lie 10th, three points from a play-off spot, having played a game more than their nearest rivals.

And the two teams currently occupying the final two spots, Hull KR and Hull FC, meet in a local derby on Sunday.

While the Halliwell Jones crowd saw nine tries, the goal-kicking from both sides was poor, with only two of the scores converted.

Monaghan and Mariano swapped tries in the opening stages and Higham set up Hodgson for Warrington's second before the hooker crossed himself.

Kirmond's powerful effort was sandwiched in between as the Wildcats kept in touch with the Wolves during an even first half.

Both sides were missing players because of injuries but Warrington's strength in depth began to show as they ran in two unanswered tries at the start of the second half, Bridge setting up Monaghan to complete his brace before the centre touched down to make it 22-8 to the hosts.

Kay cut out a pass from Trent Waterhouse to score from long range but a late try from Riley dashed any hopes of a Wakefield comeback.


Warrington Wolves head coach Tony Smith:

"We were a bit scrappy, as was the whole affair. We produced glimpses of nice stuff but not enough for our liking.

"We defended pretty well and conceded an intercept and a try off a kick which we can live with.

"We were scrappy with the ball and scrappy with some loose play, but I'm not jumping up and down because we had to try some new combinations."

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats head coach Richard Agar:

"It's highly, highly unlikely we can make the play-offs now but still have pride to play for.

"It was a scruffy game, and although we gave ourselves a shout, the best team won. They had a bit more speed and power in the middle of the park, but I was pleased with our effort and the youngsters will be better for the experience.

"It's now important we try to finish the season strongly and not limp out."


Warrington Wolves: Hodgson; C. Riley, C. Bridge, Grix, J. Monaghan; Ratchford, M. Monaghan; Wood, Higham, Hill, Westwood, Laithwaite, McCarthy.

Replacements: Waterhouse, Harrison, Currie, Dwyer.

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats: Mathers; Kay, Lyne, Mariano, Cockayne; L. Smith, T. Smith; Raleigh, Aiton, Amor, Lauitiiti, Kirmond, Trout.

Replacements: Washbrook, Wilkes, Goulding, Tautai.

Referee: Tim Roby (RFL).

Attendance: 9,250

Top Stories