Wigan coach Shaun Wane proud of Super League Grand Final win

By Matt NewsumBBC Sport at Old Trafford
Wigan comeback stuns Warrington

Coach Shaun Wane spoke of his pride after guiding Wigan to a 30-16 Super League Grand Final win over Warrington.

In his second season in charge, the 49-year-old has taken a youthful team built on home-grown talent to a league and Challenge Cup double.

"I was expecting a few apologies after how we have been doubted this year," said Wane.

"The players got hammered and told they couldn't carry on [with their form]. I can't tell you how proud I am."

Joel Monaghan leaves the field on a stretcher during Saturday's Grand Final at Old Trafford
Joel Monaghan was carried off on a stretcher with Warrington leading 16-2

Wigan lost form towards the end of the regular Super League season, losing five of their last six fixtures.

And Warrington led 16-2 in the first half during the Grand Final, but Wigan scored 28 unanswered points to become the first team to complete a league and cup double since St Helens in 2006.

"When I got in at half-time, the players were already talking about what they had to fix," added Wane.

"That's the mentality they have. I told them the way we played wasn't us, that we needed to sort our defence out. I admire the players so much, the character and the tough men that they are."

The Grand Final success ensured that Wigan's NRL-bound trio Sam Tomkins,Pat Richards and Lee Mossop head down under on a victorious note.

"I'm really pleased, not just for the ones who are leaving but for them all," continued Wane.

"I knew this was a good day and I can't tell you how happy I am. I have seen these players come of age but I want them to be good players and good men, and what satisfies me is to see them having good family lives as well."

Warrington built a 14-point lead before losing winger Joel Monaghan, stretchered off with concussion, and Wigan closed the gap almost immediately through Darrell Goulding's try.

The Wolves also saw Stefan Ratchford forced off with an ankle injury in the second half after being brought down by Mossop and Harrison Hansen, his exit beginning a sequence that saw Warrington use three full-backs in as many minutes.

"We can't be decisive about whether or not that was disruptive. You have to be able to handle those situations," said Wolves coach Tony Smith.

"We weren't able to and in the second half; field position hurt us more than anything. Wigan are fantastic close to the line.

"Also our discipline was an issue, big time. We got smashed in field position, in penalties - it was seven two against us in the second half. You can't do that, Wigan were way too good tonight and deserved it. It's a really big effort for them to do the double."

Smith, though, called for more protection of players after the tackle that left Ratchford with damage to ligaments in both ankles.

"We don't protect players enough," Smith told BBC Sport. "That style of tackle is tolerated. We only tap people on the wrist. It's sad a player can be injured from it."

As well as Wigan's departing trio, Warrington were bidding farewell Adrian Morley,Mike Cooper,Garreth Carvell and Brett Hodgson, who was not in the matchday squad.

Veteran forward Morley, who will join Salford next season, said: "I'm devastated, but really proud of the boys for their efforts this year and before that.

"The try before half-time gave Wigan hope and the injuries didn't go our way. In the second half, they shut us out."

Top Stories