Magic Weekend: Wakefield Wildcats 12-50 Castleford Tigers

By Shamoon HafezBBC Sport at Etihad Stadium
Flowing move sets up superb Sneyd Try

Castleford Tigers moved up to third in Super League after thrashing rivals Wakefield Wildcats at Magic Weekend.

Daryl Clark opened and closed the scoring for the Tigers, Justin Carney landing the second try in the corner.

Jordan Tansey and Michael Shenton both crossed in the first half as Castleford went in 22-0 at the break.

Mark Sneyd scored twice in the second half, Carney and Frankie Mariano adding further scores, with Nick Scruton and Paul Sykes touching down for Wakefield.

Castleford ended their two-game losing run in spectacular fashion against a poor Wakefield outfit who were outclassed by their West Yorkshire rivals.

In the first of three matches at a sun-drenched Etihad Stadium, it was Wakefield who almost grabbed the first try in the opening five minutes through Paul McShane, but the former Leeds man was held up by the defence.

That proved to be the only threat Richard Agar's men provided as Daryl Powell's side began to gain a foothold and following a penalty for obstruction, Clark found a gap in the backline to score the first.

The dry, sunny conditions meant Tigers were able to pass around with freedom and the ball eventually reached Australian Carney, occupying the left wing, who evaded the attention of four defenders to bundle over try number two.

Castleford Tigers fans
Castleford Tigers fans watched their team run in 10 tries at the Etihad

The two sets of supporters were situated in close proximity at one side of the ground and were in fine voice. But on the pitch, Wakefield - who had won their previous two games - were in all kinds of problems.

Each time Castleford went on the attack, they were scoring. Stand-off Sneyd, Super League's top assist provider this season, broke clear before feeding Tansey who crossed unopposed.

It was not long before skipper Shenton picked up a loose ball inside his own 20-metre line and galloped the length of the field to touchdown for a 22-point half-time lead.

The second half started in the same fashion as the influential Sneyd, who scored 22 points in the match, broke clear once again before exchanging passes with Shenton to go over.

Carney added his second in the corner, before Scruton finally put points on the board for Wakefield.

Sneyd ran in another Castleford try and Mariano went over against his former club, as Sykes outpaced the opposing defence for Wakefield's consolation second.

There was still time for Clark to collect the ball and run 70-metres to score, leaving the lowly Wildcats one place above the relegation zone.

Castleford coach Daryl Powell: "The scoreline was a blow-out, particularly with the try at the end.

"I expected it to be close after looking at Wakefield's last two games. The conditions were made for us and once we get on the front foot we played some superb rugby.

"Wakefield got 12 points but defensively, it was a great effort. It continues the consistency of what we have been delivering which was pleasing.

"Mark Sneyd is playing really well and he has some quality as a player. We will talk to Salford and see where that goes but he is doing a great job for us."

Wakefield coach Richard Agar: "We have had two or three weeks of heading in the right direction. But when we have too many players not at the top of their game, we have a game like that in us.

"We felt at half time we were dealing with a shell-shocked team.

"Two or three of Castleford's tries were handed to them on a plate. We didn't have enough response to their guys in the middle.

"We will look to improve and hopefully we will have the ability to chalk some more wins up. Today was a tough one."

Sunday's line-ups

Wakefield: Sammut, Mathers, Collis, Walshaw, Riley, Sykes, Siejka, Anderson, McShane, Scruton, Ryan, Kirmond, Smith.

Replacements: Godinet, Washbrook, Moore, Fairbank.

Castleford: Tansey, Dixon, Shenton, Webster, Carney, Sneyd, Finn, Lynch, Clark, Huby, Hauraki, Holmes, Millington.

Replacements: Mariano, Wheeldon, Ellis, Jewitt.

Referee: James Child (RFL)