Challenge Cup: Wigan Warriors 4-16 Castleford Tigers

Challenge Cup: Wigan Warriors 4-16 Castleford Tigers highlights

Castleford Tigers beat holders Wigan Warriors in a tense Challenge Cup quarter-final at a wet DW Stadium.

James Clare and Kirk Dixon scored tries either side of the break for Cas before Lee Jewitt sealed victory late on.

Liam Farrell replied for Wigan, who lost a home tie in the Challenge Cup for the first time in 28 years.

Daryl Powell's side will join Widnes and Leeds in the last four, with either Bradford or Warrington completing the semi-final line-up on Sunday.

Castleford, one place and two points above Wigan in the Super League table, have been one of the surprise success stories of the 2014 season and their growing reputation will be enhanced even further by an impressive win at the home of 2013's double winners.

The Tigers enjoyed the better of the early stages but they could not make their territorial advantage count in the opening 30 minutes.

They twice came close to the game's first points, but Marc Sneyd was unable to gather cleanly near the try line after his kick had rebounded off Wigan full-back Matty Bowen, then Luke Dorn's effort was controversially ruled out for obstruction by video referee Ben Thaler.

But they finally broke the deadlock when Dorn and captain Michael Shenton combined to send Clare over in the corner with nine minutes of the first half remaining.

Castleford led 6-0 lead at half-time and they missed a glorious opportunity for a second score soon after the interval when Dorn broke clear but, under little pressure, Shenton failed to grasp a pass from the Australian full-back 20 metres out.

That narrow escape sparked a response from the hosts and Wigan, who were chasing a record 20th Challenge Cup success, looked set to level but Oliver Holmes made a last-ditch saving tackle to deny youngster George Williams.

The visitors' resolute defence was eventually breached just after the hour mark by Farrell, who collected a short-range pass and barged his way over from 10 metres, but they remained behind as Matty Smith failed to add the extra two points with the boot.

Tigers winger Dixon ran onto Jake Webster's superb offload to score with 10 minutes to play, but Sneyd could not kick the resulting goal, keeping Wigan within one converted score of their opponents.

But Wigan's defence of the Challenge Cup was ended by forward Jewitt, who crossed near the posts to seal a historic victory.

Wigan Warriors coach Shaun Wane:

"I am devastated because we're not going to go to Wembley.

"We played dumb. We went away from what we talked about in the week in the first half and we had too much to fix but I don't want to take anything away from Castleford.

"It was a fair result, the best team won. They controlled the ruck far better than we did and the desire they showed early in the second half when we put them under the pump was fantastic.

"We need to regroup for when they come back here on Friday."

Castleford Tigers coach Daryl Powell:

"We were superb today. It's obviously a pretty big win and for me as well. We haven't won anything yet so we don't want to get too carried away but I think it just cements us as a genuine team.

"There's been a fair bit of doubt about that from some people and I think that is what I'm most pleased about.

"I don't think we played very well in the second half but that defensive rearguard effort is one of the best I've ever seen. We had the kitchen sink and fair few fridges and utensils and all sorts thrown at us."

Wigan Warriors: Bowen; Manfredi, Sarginson, Gelling, Burgess; Williams, Smith; Flower, McIlorum, Dudson, L Farrell, Bateman, O'Loughlin.

Replacements: Hughes, Crosby, Hampshire, Sutton.

Castleford Tigers: Dorn; Dixon, Shenton, Webster, Clare; Sneyd, Finn; Lynch, Clark, Huby, Holmes, Hauraki, Jewitt.

Replacements: Millington, Mariano, Wheeldon, Ellis.

Attendance: 8,736.

Referee: Richard Silverwood.

Top Stories