Super League: Wakefield Wildcats 20-20 Hull FC

Joe Westerman
Sunday's last-minute goal was just Westerman's fourth of the season

Joe Westerman's conversion of Kirk Yeaman's last-minute try gave Hull FC a share of the points at Wakefield.

A tight first period ended 6-6 with Richard Mathers crossing to level Setaimata Sa's try for the visitors.

Richard Horne and Yeaman touched down to put Hull FC back in front but scores from Chris Riley and Reece Lyne kept the hosts level.

Nick Scruton dived over to put the Wildcats ahead for the first time but Yeaman grabbed his second.

Westerman's successful kick denied the Wildcats their third successive win under coach James Webster, who replaced Richard Agar earlier this month.

Wakefield conceded a series of early penalties and survived a period of sustained pressure before Richard Owen failed to make the most of a Tim Smith pass with the try line in sight.

Sa eventually broke through for the Black and Whites six minutes before half-time, linking up with Jamie Shaul after he burst through the line.

Mathers then punched through a hole in the visitors' defence to respond, touching down despite losing his footing.

After the break Sa played provider, getting his hand free in the tackle to send Horne over with a neat offload.

Shaul was deceived by the bounce of the ball from a Smith kick, allowing Riley to restore parity for a second time.

The visitors were back in front after Scott Anderson dropped the ball from the restart, with Shaul redeeming himself with a the pass to put Yeaman over.

Lyne produced a superb solo effort to tie it up again, picking the ball up near halfway before showing both speed and strength to score in the corner.

The hosts edged ahead eight minutes from time when Paul McShane darted from dummy half and fed Scruton, who sidestepped his way through from close range.

Wakefield threatened to add to their advantage but Yeaman snatched a try down the left with Westerman slotting his first kick of the afternoon to seal the draw.

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats head coach James Webster:

"We got a point today against a really good team. If you match them [the two teams] up salary cap-wise, they are well ahead of us.

"For us to guts it out the way we did, I'm proud of my team again. (But) we made it difficult for ourselves at times.

"The reason I'm a bit deflated is we were winning with a minute-and-a-half to go.

"We've got a group of boys in there who are disappointed. Six weeks ago, the way we were travelling, we probably would have been over the moon to get a point against Hull FC. Our mindset has changed; we want to progress as a club."

Hull FC coach coach Lee Radford:

"We set out every week trying to get the two points and I thought with five or six minutes to go that opportunity had slipped, so to come away with a point was pretty pleasing.

"I thought we started the better side but momentum certainly swung their way in the second half.

"We saw last week (against Wigan) and at the KC Stadium that they are a tidy side when they've got a bit of momentum and some wind in their sails."

Sunday's squads

Wakefield (from): Mathers, Riley, D. Smith, Walshaw, Sykes, Godinet, Anderson, McShane, Gilmour, Kirmond, Washbrook, Ryan, Owen, Moore, T. Smith, Tautai, Lyne, Scruton, Raleigh.

Hull FC (from): Bowden, Ellis, Hadley, Heremaia, Horne, Houghton, Lineham, Miller, Paea, Paleaaesina, Sa, Shaul, Talanoa, Thompson, Tuson, Watts, Westerman, Whiting, Yeaman.